Braised Cabrito

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
Here we go again.... No goat [cabrito] category. Well.... this is goat. The champion spring kid in Durango Colorado last year weighed in at 137 lbs. These are boer goats, a breed bred for meat not milk. We went down to shiprock and bought a hindquarter each of mutton[good stuff], and the goat. Well I am going to prepare a roast for my daughter. It will be braised long and slow. Olive oil dribbled over, disks of sweet onion on it held in place with bacon slices. It will be served with black forbidden rice and lentils. I usually can pull it apart with a fork.

Note: Boer goats [South Africa] can get to over 425lbs and look like they have been lifting weights.

Here we go again.... No goat [cabrito] category. Well.... this is goat. The champion spring kid in Durango Colorado last year weighed in at 137 lbs. These are boer goats, a breed bred for meat not milk. We went down to shiprock and bought a hindquarter each of mutton[good stuff], and the goat. Well I am going to prepare a roast for my daughter. It will be braised long and slow. Olive oil dribbled over, disks of sweet onion on it held in place with bacon slices. It will be served with black forbidden rice and lentils. I usually can pull it apart with a fork.

Note: Boer goats [South Africa] can get to over 425lbs and look like they have been lifting weights.

Or if you're South African like me it's called a boer bok. Recipe sounds good though :)

Hurrah! Somebody who understands what the hell I am talking about!! I understand bok it is like the german bock, which is my normal spelling. When properly prepared, the goat will be wonderful.

I have enjoyed every dish of goat or kid that I have ever been served. If you were Jamaican, you would call goat mutton, as well as sheep.

I've only had the opportunity to enjoy goat one time. To me, it was very, very similar to venison, in flavor and texture. I thought it was really good. I'd like to have it again.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hurrah! Somebody who understands what the hell I am talking about!! I understand bok it is like the german bock, which is my normal spelling. When properly prepared, the goat will be wonderful.

I grew up eating boer bok or goat, it's very familiar to me. Bok is the Afrikaans spelling. Many Afrikaans words are similar to German.
I get misunderstood often on DC :LOL:
Just wait till I start talking about Impala, Kudu and Vlakvark! When I talk about Pap here after explaining what is it for over a year I still get blank stares!
I'm so used to other South Africans knowing exactly what all of these dishes are that I forget I'm chatting to people that live halfway across the world.

I'm so used to other South Africans knowing exactly what all of these dishes are that I forget I'm chatting to people that live halfway across the world.

Unfortunately, my first knowledge of South African terms was AWB.:(

Unfortunately, my first knowledge of South African terms was AWB.:(

Never judge a book by it's cover as they say :LOL:

Don't worry, some of the first things I heard about America was Klu Klux Klan, Trailer trash and KFC.
There are good and bad people in all countries and there always will be.

Never judge a book by it's cover as they say :LOL:

Don't worry, some of the first things I heard about America was Klu Klux Klan, Trailer trash and KFC.
There are good and bad people in all countries and there always will be.

Not judging at all, it was in a fictional, alternative history novel about the American civil war. The first thing that went through my mind about the AWB was KKK when the book described them.

Not judging at all, it was in a fictional, alternative history novel about the American civil war. The first thing that went through my mind about the AWB was KKK when the book described them.

Didn't mean you :) People in general get the wrong impression because of labels like those. Sad really.

You know, living in an area of California where the population is about 75% Lantino and Pilipino, you'd think it would be easy for me to find goat, but it's next to impossible unless I want to drive 20 miles into the bowels of the barrio.

Haven't been able to find goat since moving back to SA. Botswana has many, you could catch one in the street if you wanted too lol!
Wonder what they did with all the goats here, maybe they ate them!

Goat is said here to be one of the fastest growing demands for meat. Here in South Texas, of course, you can pick up goat, butchered or on the hoof, pretty much all over, including Mexican oriented groceries and halal meat markets. And cabrito is featured several ways in plenty of Mexican and Indian restaurants. Around holidays, if you keep goats, you need to move them away from fences along roadways, or they will "escape" to someone's family barbecue. And robust, Spanish goat crossbred boer goats are pretty self-sufficient and trouble-free and thrive on the weeds they prefer over grass. Young common boers and crosses $50. That's about $2/pound carcass meat. Older common females $150. I'm adding four and a billy (he'll be upwind during the summer) this winter for weed control, since the four sheep won't touch most weeds.

A boer/Spanish cross:
5Z65S35R53Ed3Gb3K5ca8fd39fbcd60f315de.jpg

I love goat, one of my favourite meats. We payed about $2.50 per kilo of meat. They say that many butchers in SA sell goat as lamb. SA doesn't have a big enough supply of lamb to meet the demands. I'd rather buy goat and pay very little for it than buy lamb at high cost and it ends up being goat!

We have never tried goat..I dont think I have even seen goat meat here...but I am guessing you would be able to get it at the butchers :)

We have a lot of Mom and Pop butcher shops in this area. They all have signs in the windows for goat or halal. They do a big busiiness. :angel:

I cook it from time to time. I do mine in a crockpot with onions and enchilada sauce. I have a ethnic grocery store pretty close and is half asian and half mexican foods. I think I will try a new liquid next time I cook it for a change.

Back
Top Bottom