"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Braised Cabrito

Here we go again.... No goat [cabrito] category. Well.... this is goat. The champion spring kid in Durango Colorado last year weighed in at 137 lbs. These are boer goats, a breed bred for meat not milk. We went down to shiprock and bought a hindquarter each of mutton[good stuff], and the goat. Well I am going to prepare a roast for my daughter. It will be braised long and slow. Olive oil dribbled over, disks of sweet onion on it held in place with bacon slices. It will be served with black forbidden rice and lentils. I usually can pull it apart with a fork.

Note: Boer goats [South Africa] can get to over 425lbs and look like they have been lifting weights.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeheran View Post
Here we go again.... No goat [cabrito] category. Well.... this is goat. The champion spring kid in Durango Colorado last year weighed in at 137 lbs. These are boer goats, a breed bred for meat not milk. We went down to shiprock and bought a hindquarter each of mutton[good stuff], and the goat. Well I am going to prepare a roast for my daughter. It will be braised long and slow. Olive oil dribbled over, disks of sweet onion on it held in place with bacon slices. It will be served with black forbidden rice and lentils. I usually can pull it apart with a fork.

Note: Boer goats [South Africa] can get to over 425lbs and look like they have been lifting weights.
Or if you're South African like me it's called a boer bok. Recipe sounds good though

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Hurrah! Somebody who understands what the hell I am talking about!! I understand bok it is like the german bock, which is my normal spelling. When properly prepared, the goat will be wonderful.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have enjoyed every dish of goat or kid that I have ever been served. If you were Jamaican, you would call goat mutton, as well as sheep.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've only had the opportunity to enjoy goat one time. To me, it was very, very similar to venison, in flavor and texture. I thought it was really good. I'd like to have it again.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeheran View Post
Hurrah! Somebody who understands what the hell I am talking about!! I understand bok it is like the german bock, which is my normal spelling. When properly prepared, the goat will be wonderful.
I grew up eating boer bok or goat, it's very familiar to me. Bok is the Afrikaans spelling. Many Afrikaans words are similar to German.
I get misunderstood often on DC
Just wait till I start talking about Impala, Kudu and Vlakvark! When I talk about Pap here after explaining what is it for over a year I still get blank stares!
I'm so used to other South Africans knowing exactly what all of these dishes are that I forget I'm chatting to people that live halfway across the world.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I'm so used to other South Africans knowing exactly what all of these dishes are that I forget I'm chatting to people that live halfway across the world.
Unfortunately, my first knowledge of South African terms was AWB.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Unfortunately, my first knowledge of South African terms was AWB.
Never judge a book by it's cover as they say

Don't worry, some of the first things I heard about America was Klu Klux Klan, Trailer trash and KFC.
There are good and bad people in all countries and there always will be.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Never judge a book by it's cover as they say

Don't worry, some of the first things I heard about America was Klu Klux Klan, Trailer trash and KFC.
There are good and bad people in all countries and there always will be.
Not judging at all, it was in a fictional, alternative history novel about the American civil war. The first thing that went through my mind about the AWB was KKK when the book described them.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Not judging at all, it was in a fictional, alternative history novel about the American civil war. The first thing that went through my mind about the AWB was KKK when the book described them.
Didn't mean you People in general get the wrong impression because of labels like those. Sad really.

Tags
other