"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Thank you Snip for your wonderful recipe! I made it and it was wonderful. I used a bone-in leg of lamb. It cooked for nearly 4 hours. Delicious

Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
Thank you Snip for your wonderful recipe! I made it and it was wonderful. I used a bone-in leg of lamb. It cooked for nearly 4 hours. Delicious
Thank you for trying it Nothing makes me happier than when people enjoy my recipes and meals, you made my day! That's what makes cooking enjoyable. I'm so glad you liked it

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, curry, lamb, recipe

Bunny Chow (No Bunnies were harmed during the cooking of this recipe) Another South African Traditional recipe from Durban :) Here's a short story of how "Bunny Chow" was created. During the Great Depression in 1933 the Whites and Chinese suffered hunger like everyone else. Their children used to buy the cheapest curry available known in Durban slang as "Bania" (or vegetable curry made from beans) and Chinese food was called "Chow". Somehow the two came together and was known as Bania Chow and as time went by it simply became known as "Bunny Chow" The children bought these curries from street vendors and since they didn't always have plates they came up with the idea of hollowing out there bread and getting the vendors to dish the curry into the hollow center. They used the soft center to scoop out the curry and broke off pieces of bread as they ate from the "bread bowl" This was also a popular way of eating curry by the field workers for their lunch. Since then people have started eating a variety of curry this way and today the most popular types are Lamb, Chicken or Bean and Lentil Curry. I'm giving you a recipe for the Lamb Curry but Chicken or Beans can be used if preferred. 2 and a 1/4 pounds of lamb cubed 1 large onion finely sliced 1 x 14oz can of chopped tomatoes 4 medium potatoes cubed 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon 1 tsp of ground turmeric 2 tsps Garam masala 2 tsps curry powder 1 tsp crushed ginger 1 tsp crushed garlic salt and pepper to taste Oil for frying Chopped fresh coriander leaves for garnish 1 cup of heavy cream (optional) 1 Standard loaf of unsliced bread cut in half or 4 quarters. In a little oil fry the onions till lightly browned. Add all the spices along with ginger and garlic and gently fry to cook out the rawness. Add meat cubes and lightly brown. Add the tin of tomato and the potato cubes. Add just enough water to barely cover the mixture and bake slowly in a 325 F oven till meat and potatoes are tender. Gently stir in the cream if using and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Using a sharp knife hollow out the bread not removing any crust. Scoop curry into hollows and serve straight away. The soft bread that was removed should be used to mop up the curry sauce and scoop out the curry. Tare pieces of the bread as you eat to scoop out the rest or use a spoon if needed. Recipe will make 4 regular servings or 2 if very hungry! P.S Use cubed chicken or a mix of cooked beans if preferred, just reduce the cooking time. 3 stars 1 reviews