"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Butterflied leg of lamb?

I'm using a recipe that calls for a "butterflied leg of lamb." What does butterflied mean? All they had was "leg of lamb" at the grocery store, so do I need to butterfly it myself? Here is the recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._22519,00.html
Thanks all!

Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Butterflied, in this case, means it's been cut open and had the bones removed. If the leg you bought is boneless, it's been butterflied and it should open flat when unwrapped.

If it's bone-in, some butchering has to be done to remove the leg bone. You should be able to see the ends of the bone at the ends of the leg. If you make a cut along the bone, you can expose it and carve away the meat and free the bone from the leg.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
oh my that sounds good!

Butterflied means almost cut in half but not all the way. Split it down the middle.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
yes.. Andy is right.. the bone should be removed.

side note...
we always use dill instead of mint
in our tzatiki. It's much better that way.
imo.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:39 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Thanks Andy, that was very helpful info.

And thanks for the side note pds, I thought mint was a little weird. I have dried dill, will that work? I know dried dill is stronger than fresh so I'll put less in.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

is the only difference between souvlaki and gyros the way the meat is sliced (thin slices for gyros, cubed for souvlaki)?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
is the only difference between souvlaki and gyros the way the meat is sliced (thin slices for gyros, cubed for souvlaki)?
I think it's because how it is served. Whenver I order a gyro the meat comes already inside the pita. Whenever I order a souvlaki the meat come seperate on the side, and you can choose to eat it as is or build a gyro. I should ask one of the Greek workers at this restaurant that I go to quite often.

But BT, for all I know the way the meat is cut could be the reason. Either way, it's **** good so I guess I never really thought to ask. I found this on the net. There were some other sites but this one was more to the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souvlaki
Old 01-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks ic, good info. i love wikipedia. are they a publicly held company like google (who's stock has exploded recently)? the whole china thing with google is interesting.

i'm not a big fan of nyc gyros; who knows what's in the giant reconstituted hunk of vertically grilled meat. at least the chunks taste like lamb.
(ok, iso recipe to make rat and cats taste like lamb...)
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
iso recipe to make rat and cats taste like lamb...
Now, THAT one is easy, Buckytom! The flavor is in the fat - so either include some solid lamb fat, or rendered lamb "drippin's", with the rat/cat meat as you grind it, or trim off all the fat from the rats/cats and cook it in lamb fat! I've only tried it with beef .... but it fooled a Greek cook.

Yeah, corazon - I agree with Andy M. - Tyler really messed up on this recipe. What he is describing is a "deboned" leg of lamb - not butterflied. In fact, for this recipe, you don't even need to debone it before cooking - just cut the meat off the bone when done. That's the way I would do it (and have most of the time).

As for using dill instead of mint .... mint is "traditional" (check the grocery store and see if you find any "dill" jelly). I generally stud my lamb with slivers of garlic, coat it with extra virgin olive oil, then coat it with a sprinkle of rosemary. Sandwiches are always from leftovers - and I always use mint for my tzatziki.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Master Chef

Bucky,

I love NYC gyros!! The best vendors were on Liberty Street right under the WTC. There were like 5 or 6 of them all in a row and really drew a crowd. I haven't found where they relocated to.

Both/either mint and dill are very traditional herbs to add to tzazki and other Greek yummies.

And regarding deboning and butterflying: Just about any butcher in a butcher shop will do this for you, as will some butchers in supermarkets.

Tags
None