"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Cajun roasted leg of lamb w/merlot

This is an old Cajun recipe for Lamb Leg. Anyone remember Justin Wilson? VERY DELICIOUS. SPICY. The Lamb will appear nearly black, but it will not burn or over-cook. The meat will be delicious and extremely tender. Be prepared to vent the kitchen a bit. You WILL clean the oven after this. Well worth it.

CAJUN ROASTED LEG OF LAMB W/MERLOT WINE

1 Leg of Lamb (3 - 6 Lbs)
1 Bottle Merlot Wine
6 cloves Garlic
6 Green Onions
6 Hot Chili Peppers (such as jalapeno)
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 TBLSP. Dry Mustard
1/2 cup Dried Mint Leaves
4 TBLSP. Worcestershire Sauce

Allow Lamb Leg to rest at room temp. for 30 - 60 minutes.
Dry the Lamb Leg w/ Paper Towels.
Preheat Oven To 425 Degrees.
With the tip of a sharp knife, puncture the Lamb Leg in 6 places.
With your thumb, insert a whole clove of Garlic, whole Green Onion, whole Chili Pepper, into each hole.
You can tie the Lamb Leg / or Not / if desired. (I don't)
Sprinkle w/Dry Mustard.
Pack the Mint Leaves around the entire outside of the Lamb Leg.
Pour the remaining Olive Oil into a large broiler pan and SEAR the Lamb Leg on all sides in 425 degree oven. (approx. 20 min.)
Sprinkle the Lamb Leg w/Worcestershire Sauce.
Pour the Wine around the Lamb Leg in the broiler pan.
REDUCE oven heat to 400 degrees.
Bake for 3 - 4 hours at 400 degrees, basting often w/the wine.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This sounds really good! Thanks!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

That sounds phenomenal. Leg of lamb is divine, reminds me of my youth vacations spent in Greece.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Lamb, cajun interesting. Where did this originate? Most cajuns I know usually lean to chicken, pork or seafood. Beef gets a second mention, but Lamb? You'd be better off promoting nutria then lamb! My daughter is married to a coonass and lamb is not mentioned for the menu!.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Sous Chef

This recipe originates from The Justin Wilson Cookbook, first printing 1965. This is not exactly the way Justin wrote it, but it is the way I make it. (very close) Justin Wilson passed away many years ago. He used to have his own Louisiana cooking show on the television machine. Justin grew up in Louisiana among the French Louisiana Cajuns, originally known for delicious cooking, using wines and less expensive cuts of meats. They used their imaginations over a century to create some of the most delicious recipes, renowned worldwide. Cajuns cook a lot of chicken, pork, cheap cuts of beef and lamb, not to mention staples like rice, corn meal, red beans, peas, okra, tomatoes and eggplant. Justin was a real character and a treasure trove of Louisiana home-style cooking. Try this Leg of Lamb and you will definitely, as Justin would say: "get the raves, I garontee!"
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I remember his TV show, very entertaining!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Lamb, cajun interesting. Where did this originate? Most cajuns I know usually lean to chicken, pork or seafood. Beef gets a second mention, but Lamb? You'd be better off promoting nutria then lamb! My daughter is married to a coonass and lamb is not mentioned for the menu!.
I've got three lamb recipes in my Justin Wilson cookbook...
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

This does sound delicious, thanks so much for sharing..this is a keeper

Tags
cajun, lamb, recipe

Cajun roasted leg of lamb w/merlot This is an old Cajun recipe for Lamb Leg. Anyone remember Justin Wilson? VERY DELICIOUS. SPICY. The Lamb will appear nearly black, but it will not burn or over-cook. The meat will be delicious and extremely tender. Be prepared to vent the kitchen a bit. You WILL clean the oven after this. Well worth it. CAJUN ROASTED LEG OF LAMB W/MERLOT WINE 1 Leg of Lamb (3 - 6 Lbs) 1 Bottle Merlot Wine 6 cloves Garlic 6 Green Onions 6 Hot Chili Peppers (such as jalapeno) 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3 TBLSP. Dry Mustard 1/2 cup Dried Mint Leaves 4 TBLSP. Worcestershire Sauce Allow Lamb Leg to rest at room temp. for 30 - 60 minutes. Dry the Lamb Leg w/ Paper Towels. Preheat Oven To 425 Degrees. With the tip of a sharp knife, puncture the Lamb Leg in 6 places. With your thumb, insert a whole clove of Garlic, whole Green Onion, whole Chili Pepper, into each hole. You can tie the Lamb Leg / or Not / if desired. (I don't) Sprinkle w/Dry Mustard. Pack the Mint Leaves around the entire outside of the Lamb Leg. Pour the remaining Olive Oil into a large broiler pan and SEAR the Lamb Leg on all sides in 425 degree oven. (approx. 20 min.) Sprinkle the Lamb Leg w/Worcestershire Sauce. Pour the Wine around the Lamb Leg in the broiler pan. REDUCE oven heat to 400 degrees. Bake for 3 - 4 hours at 400 degrees, basting often w/the wine. 3 stars 1 reviews