Chef Daniel Boulud´s Roast Leg of Lamb & Lemon Coriander Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Good Morning Ladies and Gents,

French Chef, Restaurateur and Author, Daniel Boulud, had given me this recipe, called: Roast Lamb with Lemon & Coriander Crust at the turn of new millennium in 2000. After, going through some notebooks and notebooks, I thought it would be of interest to those Lamb Aficionados ( having an affinity with ) and Fans of the traditional roast.

*** Please note: this dish is made with White Wine however, it can be left out.

:chef: DANIEL BOULUD´s ROAST LEG OF LAMB WITH LEMON & CORIANDER CRUST

8 Servings:

2 fresh lemons with rind cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/8 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

1/2 cup butter ( 1 stick creamy style French Butter)
6 tblps soft breadcrumbs made from a French style Baguette
3 tblsps ground Coriander

1 large lemon thinly sliced
:cool: 10 garlic cloves unpeeled and halved lengthwise
6 fresh swigs of thyme herb
4 fresh swigs of rosemary herb
1 tblsp coriander seeds
Butcher: 1 seven and 1/2 pound bone in leg lamb
2 cups Evoo
1/2 cup dry white French or French grape wine
2 cups homemade chicken stock

1. stir the 2 lemons, sugar and water in heavy saucepan over very low heat until sugar dissolves
2. simmer until the lemons are very tender and the mixture is reduced to 1/3 cup stirring occasionally about 45 minutes and cool the lemon marmalade

1. MIX 2 1/2 tblsps lemon marmalade with the butter, breadcrumbs and ground coriander in medium bowl. ( non sweetened lemon curd from the UK can be substituted )

2. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground blk. pepper. Spoon the butter mixture onto a plastic wrap sheet and shape into a 6 x 1 1/2 x
1 1/2 Inch rectangle and wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.

3. slice the butter into 1/4 inch thick slices, wrap and refrigerate until ready to use

4. Scatter half of the lemons, half each of garlic, thyme and rosemary and half of the coriander seeds in the bottom of a large roasting pan

5. place the lamb atop this mixture

6. top with remaining lemon slices, garlic, thyme, rosemary and coriander

7. cover and refrigerate over night, turning lamb over twice

8. preheat: to 425 farenheit

9. SCRAPE HERBS AND SPICES OFF THE LAMB AND PLACE BACK INTO THE ROASTING PAN

10. POUR MARINADE THROUGH STRAINER SIEVE, DISCARD THE OIL AND TRANSFER THE LAMB TO A BAKING SHEET

11. DISCARD THE HERBS AND PLACE THE LAMB ON TOP OF THE LEMON HERB MIXTURE

12. ROAST THE LAMB UNTIL MEAT THERMOMETER INSERTED INTO THICKEST PART, REGISTERS 135 FARENEHEIT FOR MEDIUM RARE

13. ADD 1/4 CUP OF WATER TO PAN IF DRIPPINGS APPEAR SENSITIVE TO BURNING AND ROAST 1 HOUR AND 15 MINUTES

14. Increase the oven temperature to 500 Fareneheit

15. transfer the lamb to platter and strain pan juices

16. set roasting pan over medium high heat

17. boil until almost all the liquid evaporates, just 3 mins.

18. add de-greased juices and stock to pan and boil until reduced 1 1/2 cups, about 5 mins.

19. remove sauce from heat and add 1 1/2 tblsps of the coriander lemon butter, and whisk sauce to melt.

20. place remaining coriander and lemon butter atop the lamb so that the slices are side by side and cover top

21. transfer lamb to platter and using back of a spoon, spread crust to cover any open spaces and slice lamb and serve with the sauce.

*** note: for those of you who do NOT:

1) wine: do not add and do not substitute
2) butter: is there a non dairy substitute ?

I personally prefer the Abruzzi style however, I posted this for those, who may be interested.

Kind Regards.
Margi Cintrano.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Evening Charlie,

Yes this is delicious and a bit different too ... and the French ( native Lyonnaise from Lyon ) Chef Daniel Boulud, is quite an accomplished Chef. I thought to post this, as to the unique flavor profile ... a subtle change ...

Thanks for input.

Margi.

Kylie,

This recipe given to me by the French Chef Daniel, who is a resident of Manhattan, truly does a lovely job with his roast lamb.

I had taken my Dad with me for the chef interview while I was in Manhattan prior to his passing away.

Thanks for compliment.
Margi.

Last edited:
What a wonderful thing for your dad to be involved in with you :)

Lovely of you to take him too

Back
Top Bottom