I cooked lamb shanks on two occasions but could not get the meat tender enough to fall off the bone. The meat wasn't extremely
tough but I hoped it would have been more tender given the cooking time.
I'll explain the steps I took in the hope someone can make a few suggestions
- Bought 2 fresh lamb shanks
- covered in a mix of salt / pepper / flour
- browned in a pan
- browned onions in a pan
- placed one layer aluminium foil into my ceramic baking dish (could this be the problem?)
- added brown onions + lamb into dish
- added glass of red wine, tinned tomatoes.
- added chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, butter beans
- cooked for a variety of times: 1.5 hours, 2 hours, 2.5 hours
- temperature was 160C / 320F
- baking tray was uncovered both times
- turned the meat every 30mins
On my first attempt, I thought the lack of tenderness may have been caused by not adding water. So I added water with vegetable stock on round two but unfortunately it yielded similar results.
Anyway, I'll keep experimenting. In the meantime if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them