"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 04-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #41
Master Chef

I'm still not sold on leftover lamb, but this talk about tzatziki and pita bread has me thinking about Souvlaki!

I like to have a skewer of charcoal grilled souvlaki with eggs, Greek homefries and a toasted pita pocket.

That used to be my go to breakfast, at about 3:00am, many, many years ago!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm still not sold on leftover lamb, but this talk about tzatziki and pita bread has me thinking about Souvlaki!

I like to have a skewer of charcoal grilled souvlaki with eggs, Greek homefries and a toasted pita pocket.

That used to be my go to breakfast, at about 3:00am, many, many years ago!
Greek home fries? Do you have a recipe for that?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I love lamb sandwiches, tzaziki or mayo, lettuce and tomato. I always end up thinking of that part in the Princess Bride when Billy Crystal (spelling?) is talking about an MLT. :)

Occasionally I'll get lamb ribs when.the market runs them for 2.99 or 2.49/lb. They're pretty fatty so I trim some of the fat off. One time I rendered a bit, mixed it in with really lean ground beef and made meatballs. Man, were they ever good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
I just used Billy's line on Shrek...now he's a bit excited....well, he's laughing about it anyway.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just used Billy's line on Shrek...now he's a bit excited....well, he's laughing about it anyway.
:D:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:27 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Greek home fries? Do you have a recipe for that?
The Greek home fries I have had use boiled potatoes that have been tossed with some lemon juice or wine vinegar while still hot. They also have garlic salt, oregano and way too much paprika sprinkled on them when they are fried on the grill using olive oil. Fried may not be the right word, the ones I have had are heated and lightly browned around the edges, the paprika provides most of the color.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The Greek home fries I have had use boiled potatoes that have been tossed with some lemon juice or wine vinegar while still hot. They also have garlic salt, oregano and way too much paprika sprinkled on them when they are fried on the grill using olive oil. Fried may not be the right word, the ones I have had are heated and lightly browned around the edges, the paprika provides most of the color.
Sounds yummy, thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Easter's a big holiday for us. We're having at least 13 people over tomorrow for dinner, with lamb and ham on the menu. My father-in-law steadfastly refuses to even try lamb, but this is the same man who travels to Mexico every year and refuses to eat anything but tacos.
Poor F-I-L. I love lamb - it's my favourite meat. I'd really like to have it for Christmas dinner than turkey. After all the shepherds were watching their flocks by night, weren't they, so lamb comes into the Christmas story.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Poor F-I-L. I love lamb - it's my favourite meat. I'd really like to have it for Christmas dinner than turkey. After all the shepherds were watching their flocks by night, weren't they, so lamb comes into the Christmas story.
I don't understand how ham became the star of the Easter dinner. Easter is supposed to be a celebration of Spring, the birth of newness. Like lambs.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Steve! the marinade was wonderful, I did sub in Key Lime, I didn't have any lemon. It made the tastiest crust on the roast!!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #50
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Steve! the marinade was wonderful, I did sub in Key Lime, I didn't have any lemon. It made the tastiest crust on the roast!!
So glad you enjoyed it PF!

Did you have leftovers?

Tags
lamb, leg of lamb, other, recipe

Favourite Leg of Lamb recipe? I just bought a bone-in leg of lamb, it was on special for $11/kg. It's almost 2 kg (~4.4 lbs). I looked at a lot of old posts about lamb and lamb recipes here on DC. I cooked a leg of lamb once before, on a charcoal grill. There was some sort of marinade. It was good, but nothing special. At over $20 for a chunk of meat, I want special. :lol: Recommendations? I'm not up for charcoal grilling it and even if I was, I don't think my hibachi is big enough. I have plenty of fresh rosemary and mint, as well as fresh dill, parsley, thyme, and oregano. 3 stars 1 reviews