Favourite Leg of Lamb recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I will be the only one eating it, I picked up a 1.5 lb boneless half leg o'lamb.

I'm going to try Steve Kroll's marinade and serve with baby red potatoes and asparagus with hollandaise. I may just roast all of it in the toaster/convection oven. I don't know what Shrek is having, he saw the lamb and said, "ick".

It's my first foray into a lamb roast. Have had chops and long ago lamb/mutton stew. I've always like it.

This one is small and butterflied, should I roll and tie it before roasting?

I love lamb. My mother used to cook leg of lamb and sometimes bought premade lamb patties and cooked them like burgers. I don't think DH would eat lamb. Are gyros lamb? He eats those, but I don't think he realizes it's lamb.

I love lamb. My mother used to cook leg of lamb and sometimes bought premade lamb patties and cooked them like burgers. I don't think DH would eat lamb. Are gyros lamb? He eats those, but I don't think he realizes it's lamb.
Around here, gyros are usually beef and souvlaki is usually pork, but you can get lamb souvlaki some places if you pay extra.

It's my first foray into a lamb roast. Have had chops and long ago lamb/mutton stew. I've always like it.

This one is small and butterflied, should I roll and tie it before roasting?

I do that because I usually put it on a rotisserie. But I just saw an ATK segment where they just laid a butterflied roast flat on top of a bed of veggies. So I guess there is no right or wrong. I would be careful of overcooking it, though, and it seems to me like that would be more likely to happen laying it out flat.

I am sure by now you have made it. When I make it I cut some slivers in the meat and insert garlic slices. And some springs of rosemary. I also S&P on the outside and roast it. I toss the rest of rosemary I have left over in the pan so that it can flavor the juices. I don't remove the needles from the stem. It makes it easier to remove the sprigs.

What did you end up doing? :angel:
I do mine like Addie. Another way I do it is to tunnel bone it. A competent butcher will do this for you if given notice but it's easy enough to do yourself if you have a good boning knife. (Not for nothing am I the niece and cousin of a collection of old style butchers :))

I then stuff it with an apricot stuffing. Very good. I use the juices from the roasting pan to make the gravy with a splash of wine, etc.

I do that because I usually put it on a rotisserie. But I just saw an ATK segment where they just laid a butterflied roast flat on top of a bed of veggies. So I guess there is no right or wrong. I would be careful of overcooking it, though, and it seems to me like that would be more likely to happen laying it out flat.

Thanks! I think I will marinate, roll/tie, then roast. I want to make sure the potatoes are done, the asparagus will roast faster than it takes me to make the hollandaise.

Shrek is roaring about, "Since when do we eat Easter Dinner?" We are having one this year.:rolleyes:

Does anyone have any tips for using leftover lamb?

I buy chops once in a while, but I tend tend to shy away from the roasts because I just don't know how to use the leftovers.

Does anyone have any tips for using leftover lamb?

I buy chops once in a while, but I tend tend to shy away from the roasts because I just don't know how to use the leftovers.

I once made crepes with the leftover lamb and did a feta cream sauce to go over them. It got good reviews. :yum:

If there is a lot, I will turn it into a stew with barley. Other than that, I will make open faced sandwiches with leftover gravy over it. Slice some of it and toss it into the freezer later for sandwiches. :angel:

Thanks! I think I will marinate, roll/tie, then roast. I want to make sure the potatoes are done, the asparagus will roast faster than it takes me to make the hollandaise.

Shrek is roaring about, "Since when do we eat Easter Dinner?" We are having one this year.:rolleyes:

Easter's a big holiday for us. We're having at least 13 people over tomorrow for dinner, with lamb and ham on the menu. My father-in-law steadfastly refuses to even try lamb, but this is the same man who travels to Mexico every year and refuses to eat anything but tacos. :wacko:

Leftover lamb? I'm not familiar with that concept. :LOL:

Seriously, I like lamb-wiches made with pita bread and some of that Greek tzatziki sauce. Add a cucumber-tomato salad on the side and you have a good meal.

I love lamb sandwiches, tzaziki or mayo, lettuce and tomato. I always end up thinking of that part in the Princess Bride when Billy Crystal (spelling?) is talking about an MLT. :)

Occasionally I'll get lamb ribs when.the market runs them for 2.99 or 2.49/lb. They're pretty fatty so I trim some of the fat off. One time I rendered a bit, mixed it in with really lean ground beef and made meatballs. Man, were they ever good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom