"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
That's about what I paid, Kay. $8.49 I think. For something I only buy half a dozen times a year I can live with that. I eat lamb as a treat. It's certainly not in my rotation. Otherwise I would raise my own sheep and have the neighbor butcher them.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's about what I paid, Kay. $8.49 I think. For something I only buy half a dozen times a year I can live with that. I eat lamb as a treat. It's certainly not in my rotation. Otherwise I would raise my own sheep and have the neighbor butcher them.
Okay Farmer Pacanis. Thanks for the laugh. Eight dollars? I am in shock. I have a girlfriend in Atlanta and we talk for hours on Saturday night. Every so often we compare prices. I get my flyer and tell her what is on sale. She is as shocked at how low my prices are compared to hers, as I am at the cost of your lamb. This week lamb shoulder chops are on sale for $3.49 a pound. Even our produce is so much cheaper than what she pays in Atlanta. And she doesn't' have available a lot of the items I do. Like being able to get a hunk of Parm cheese from the wheel. So about twice a year I send her a couple of chunks. Right now it is up to $4.99 a pound. And she can't find Romano cheese anywhere at all. Not even the cheap stuff in a can. Not even a small piece from Stella's. That is only $3.99 here. Off the wheel.

The more I hear what others are paying for their food, the more grateful I become for what I have here right in Boston.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Okay Farmer Pacanis. Thanks for the laugh. Eight dollars? I am in shock. I have a girlfriend in Atlanta and we talk for hours on Saturday night. Every so often we compare prices. I get my flyer and tell her what is on sale. She is as shocked at how low my prices are compared to hers, as I am at the cost of your lamb. This week lamb shoulder chops are on sale for $3.49 a pound. Even our produce is so much cheaper than what she pays in Atlanta. And she doesn't' have available a lot of the items I do. Like being able to get a hunk of Parm cheese from the wheel. So about twice a year I send her a couple of chunks. Right now it is up to $4.99 a pound. And she can't find Romano cheese anywhere at all. Not even the cheap stuff in a can. Not even a small piece from Stella's. That is only $3.99 here. Off the wheel.

The more I hear what others are paying for their food, the more grateful I become for what I have here right in Boston.
I didn't know I said anything funny, but it's always nice to laugh.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #44
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Do you have a food processor, Kayelle? It will do a passable meat grind, just make sure the meat's slightly frozen, cut into small chunks, and pulse (a lot), don't grind. Keep scraping.
I do have a food processor Dawg! I may give it a try sometime. Was it you who bought an electric meat grinder a while back, or am I thinking of someone else?
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I do have a food processor Dawg! I may give it a try sometime. Was it you who bought an electric meat grinder a while back, or am I thinking of someone else?
Yes, 'twas I! The litany is similar, make sure your meat and metal parts are cold. I need to fire the grinder up again, my freezer overflows, so we have to use up what we have.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I didn't know I said anything funny, but it's always nice to laugh.
It was your remark about raising your own sheep.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes, 'twas I! The litany is similar, make sure your meat and metal parts are cold. I need to fire the grinder up again, my freezer overflows, so we have to use up what we have.
I'm grinding pork tomorrow. I have the parts of the meat grinder in the freezer and the pork chunks are marinating. They will go in the freezer about 30-40 minutes before I start grinding.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Most of our lamb comes from NZ and Australia. We don't get American lamb until spring time. So we have a steady supply. You would think that Canada would be able to get lamb from NZ and Australia before they would ship it to the U.S. All three countries are members of the Commonwealth.
We do get NZ lamb. I like it because, it's virtually organic. The ground lamb is cheaper than even the shoulder chops, so there is no benefit to grinding it myself. I don't remember how much it costs, but it's enough that I don't buy it often.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Greek Meatballs in Asparagus Lemon Sauce Because this is a recipe put together by inspiration of other recipes, and my own ideas, I think I can safely call it my own. It's [B]really[/B] delicious. 1 lb. ground lamb 1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked 1/3 cup white onion, very finely chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 1 tsp. ground oregano, crushed between palms 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley 2 tbs. chopped fresh mint Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 1 large egg 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 4 cups chicken broth (I use Swanson) 1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 in. pieces For the sauce: 2 large eggs at room temp 2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (nothing else will do) Combine ground lamb, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, mint, oregano, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add egg to mixture and mix well. Place flour in a shallow dish. With wet hands, shape into walnut-sized balls. Roll meatballs in flour and shake off excess. Heat four cups of the chicken broth in a Dutch oven or a deep large skillet until boiling. Carefully place the meatballs in a single layer on the bottom of the pot. Gently simmer covered, over low heat for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and add the asparagus while you make the sauce, being careful not to over cook. You want it cooked till just crisp tender. For the sauce: Using a whisk, beat the eggs in a medium bowl until frothy. Add plenty of salt, and white pepper. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice. Ladle one cup of the pot liquid little by little into egg-lemon mixture to temper the eggs. Remove pot from heat and slowly add egg-lemon mixture stirring gently. Heat over very low heat until sauce thickens and is heated through. Take care not to allow the sauce to boil or the eggs will curdle. Play music from Zorba the Greek, pour some white wine, and light some candles. Serve in flat soup bowls, with plenty of crusty rolls to dip in the [B]yummy [/B]lemon sauce. 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.