"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Harry & Laila's lamb tagine

i posted this a while ago in a today's menu thread & also food photo's.it was first cooked for me by laila who i met whilst on holiday in morocco a few years ago.she told me it is very common in north african & many other cuisines worldwide NOT to seal meat before cooking.the idea is that the long slow cooking allows the juices/flavour of the meat to mingle with the other ingredients & vice versa, whilst the tagine prevents drying out.she is moroccan & a superb cook so i didn't argue!!healthy too...no oil or fats used.
THE INGREDIENTS FOR TWO
a)1lb(400-450grms)lean leg/shoulder of lamb
b)1 large onion
c)garlic to taste...i used half a head as per photo...looks pretty too!
d)large mild/medium chilli left whole...not a hot dish & the whole chilli adds flavour,but it's up to you...you know how hot you like it
e)1 large red bell pepper
f)aubergine...i used whole baby obbo's....large/cubed will do...you choose
g)2 cinnamon sticks
h)2tsps paprika
i)1tbls clear honey
j)juice of a lemon
k)3ozs(75grms)whole blanched almonds
l)16oz(400grms)can of cooked chickpeas
m)2inch(5cm)piece of fresh ginger root
n)1pint(0.5ltr)stock...i like chicken...your choice
o)salt & ground black pepper...i use sea salt & costco coarse ground malabar...the malabar has a kick which compliments the mild chilli heat
THE METHOD
1)cube the meat,chop the onion,crush the garlic(if not using half head).core & slice bell pepper,cube the aubergine(if not using baby)& rub with a little lemon juice to stop discolouring(or leave cubing til ready to add to dish),peel/grate ginger,drain chickpeas.
2)put all of the ingredients,apart from the chick peas,aubergines,almonds,salt & pepper,in the tagine base(or casserole/pan with a tight fitting lid),pour in stock,put on lid,bring to the boil then turn down heat to VERY GENTLE simmer.
3)simmer gently for 1.5/2.0 hrs.only take lid off to stir occasionally...the flavours in the steam!!
4)15-20mins before end of cooking time add aubergines,chick peas & almonds...put lid back on or leave lid off if too much liquid left..you decide
5)taste & season with salt & pepper
6)ENJOY!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LAILA'S LAMB TAGINE 001.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	15408   Click image for larger version

Name:	LAILA'S LAMB TAGINE 002.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	15409  

Name:	LAILA'S LAMB TAGINE 003.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	15410   Click image for larger version

Name:	LAILA'S LAMB TAGINE 004.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	15411  

Name:	LAILA'S LAMB TAGINE 005.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	15412   Click image for larger version

Name:	LAILA'S LAMB TAGINE 006.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	15413  

Name:	LAILA'S LAMB TAGINE 007.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	15414  

Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Master Chef

I wish I could get lean lamb here. I made a lamb shoulder on sunday half of that should have been thrown away, it was all fat. Thogh I have to say fat does give a great flavoe when cooking, so I threw it away afterwards.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Cook

wow Harry, you got me here. I am crazy about lamb, and I can not resist eggplants in any form (sweet, cooked, baked, grilled, cooked).
And it just happens that I have a kilogram of lamb in the freezer.

Thank you :)

If you have time you could try and cook the lamb in a mix of milk and water (half/half) it really makes it more tender and the strong smell is gone. Then you wash it well and cook it as the recipe says.

Or a pinch of cinnamon while cooking the food, helps too. Turks did this and I learnt it a few years ago from a documentry on TV.

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Souvlaki Harry and I were brought up in Wales where I live now. Welsh lamb is the best in the world. I know the smell you talk about both New Zealand and Australian imports have it.
HCC Meat Promotion Wales

ps I live 20 minutes from Corwen which is mentioned.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Yes Bolas I know. I have eaten lamb hat was not smelling to strong only once in my life, and it was grown by an old man high in the mountains, where green and flowers are abundant.

What can I say , you are lucky :)

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Souvlaki I would swap you the Lamb for your weather, you are lucky.
I would swap you the lamb for blue sea and starry night.
I would swap you the lamb for civilised coffee and conversation in your country, you are very lucky.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Wine Guy

I love lamb. This looks delicious and is definitely something I'll try.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I wish I could get lean lamb here. I made a lamb shoulder on sunday half of that should have been thrown away, it was all fat. Thogh I have to say fat does give a great flavoe when cooking, so I threw it away afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvlaki View Post
wow Harry, you got me here. I am crazy about lamb, and I can not resist eggplants in any form (sweet, cooked, baked, grilled, cooked).
And it just happens that I have a kilogram of lamb in the freezer.

Thank you :)

If you have time you could try and cook the lamb in a mix of milk and water (half/half) it really makes it more tender and the strong smell is gone. Then you wash it well and cook it as the recipe says.

Or a pinch of cinnamon while cooking the food, helps too. Turks did this and I learnt it a few years ago from a documentry on TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Souvlaki Harry and I were brought up in Wales where I live now. Welsh lamb is the best in the world. I know the smell you talk about both New Zealand and Australian imports have it.
HCC Meat Promotion Wales

ps I live 20 minutes from Corwen which is mentioned.
all i can say is to repeat what bro' bolas said.welsh lamb is the best.lean but with enough fat,no smell,tender & tasty....the cream of the crop is the saltmarsh lamb that is grazed on the saltmarshes of the island of anglesey...croeso y cymru chaps!!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I love lamb. This looks delicious and is definitely something I'll try.
it's so simple too steve...no browning of meat etc....just measure,chop,chuck it in,add your veg at the end....job done mate....glad you approve!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Man that sure looks scrumptious.

I guess it is time for me, in my elder age, to enter into a new realm of cooking and start using a tagine.

Thanks for posting it.

Tags
lamb, recipe

Harry & Laila's lamb tagine i posted this a while ago in a today's menu thread & also food photo's.it was first cooked for me by laila who i met whilst on holiday in morocco a few years ago.she told me it is very common in north african & many other cuisines worldwide NOT to seal meat before cooking.the idea is that the long slow cooking allows the juices/flavour of the meat to mingle with the other ingredients & vice versa, whilst the tagine prevents drying out.she is moroccan & a superb cook so i didn't argue!!healthy too...no oil or fats used. THE INGREDIENTS FOR TWO a)1lb(400-450grms)lean leg/shoulder of lamb b)1 large onion c)garlic to taste...i used half a head as per photo...looks pretty too! d)large mild/medium chilli left whole...not a hot dish & the whole chilli adds flavour,but it's up to you...you know how hot you like it e)1 large red bell pepper f)aubergine...i used whole baby obbo's....large/cubed will do...you choose g)2 cinnamon sticks h)2tsps paprika i)1tbls clear honey j)juice of a lemon k)3ozs(75grms)whole blanched almonds l)16oz(400grms)can of cooked chickpeas m)2inch(5cm)piece of fresh ginger root n)1pint(0.5ltr)stock...i like chicken...your choice o)salt & ground black pepper...i use sea salt & costco coarse ground malabar...the malabar has a kick which compliments the mild chilli heat THE METHOD 1)cube the meat,chop the onion,crush the garlic(if not using half head).core & slice bell pepper,cube the aubergine(if not using baby)& rub with a little lemon juice to stop discolouring(or leave cubing til ready to add to dish),peel/grate ginger,drain chickpeas. 2)put all of the ingredients,apart from the chick peas,aubergines,almonds,salt & pepper,in the tagine base(or casserole/pan with a tight fitting lid),pour in stock,put on lid,bring to the boil then turn down heat to VERY GENTLE simmer. 3)simmer gently for 1.5/2.0 hrs.only take lid off to stir occasionally...the flavours in the steam!! 4)15-20mins before end of cooking time add aubergines,chick peas & almonds...put lid back on or leave lid off if too much liquid left..you decide 5)taste & season with salt & pepper 6)ENJOY! 3 stars 1 reviews