"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb
Old 07-28-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
Master Chef
Robo was right - price is going to depend on the season, availability, the source, what your store normally stocks, their current inventory level, the age of the product, the cut, and your location.

As for getting an answer from someone in customer service - that might be good for canned goods, but for meat and seafood you really need to talk to someone in the meat or seafood department to find out what is available and the current price. Looking up a price on the computer generally isn't going to tell you if what you want is in stock ... and many times if the price has been reduced in the meat department it will not be reflected in the price database - the meat is "discounted" at the time the product is "rung up". Save yourself some trouble - just ask the person that answers the phone for the meat department and go straight to the only people who can really help you.

The best time to get someone on the phone in the meat department is between 9am - 2pm, or after 7pm. The worst time to try to get someone on the phone is between 4pm-7pm - the customer standing there at the counter gets priority over someone on the phone.

Call and if nobody in the meat department answers, wait a few (5-10) minutes and try again. If you still can't get an answer after 2-3 trys tell the person answering the phone at the store (which will generally be someone in customer service) that you can't get anyone to answer ... and eventually someone will.

This information comes from someone who should know what he is talking about - my son who is the asst. mgr. of the meat and seafood department of a large store.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Last time I bought lamb in the Midwest US, it was about $12/lb for the leg meat. Funny story about that... I asked for two pounds lamb shish and the butcher tells me, "Oh, you sure you want that much? Lamb is much richer than beef." To which I replied, "My husband's from Turkey... he can put away more lamb in one sitting than a cowboy can beef." The butcher just said, "Oh."

velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
I don't know where you're posting from, but Sam's Club usually has a boneless leg of lamb for around $4 a pound, and lovely loin chops for about $8 a pound. It is New Zealand lamb and we have never been disappointed with the quality. Good luck!
Dawnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
Senior Cook

To state the obvious, the price of lamb (like everything else) depends where you are. It also depends on the quailty. Where I live (in Beijing, China) the local lamb is not too expensive. But it is SWAT Team Trained and just as tough. You can also get lamb from Inner Mongolia, which is also not too expensive, and the toughness is merely military standard (and that's tough enough, believe me!)
So, we buy imported frozen lamb from New Zealand. That is jolly near perfect, succulent and tender. But the price in Beijing -- one arm and half a leg!

Sadly, we cannot get Welsh lamb. That would be even nicer.
advoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
when you say lamb ribs, i guess you mean lamb rib chops. probably the most expensive cut of lamb (do they sell lamb tenderloins?). loin chops are similar in flavor, and a little less pricey. i've found new zealand lamb to be good but a little stronger flavored than american lamb.
i say you only live once this time around, so just go out and buy the darn things. try to get a whole rack, or at least rib chops that are 2 to 3 bones still together. they're so small when cut into individual chops that they dry out too much, imo. also, i think that if you're gonna lay out the dough, you should try to enjoy them as simply as possible. just s&p, a drizzle of evoo, and quickly cooked medium rare (no more than medium) under the broiler. if you want to get fancy, french the bones, and make a persille sauce (fresh parsley, raw garlic, evoo or butter) to go on them in the last minute of broiling.

this is making me hungry. i need to go back to the halal meat market at the farmers market very soon.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote