How Should Lamb Chops be Cooked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My opinion is like most. If cooked more than medium, they become something mediocre..they should be medium rare so they remain moist, juicy while retaining a great texture.
PTba4RD.jpg

Last edited:
The best mint sauce, bar none, is this with lamb. Not to be confused with mint jelly, or even homemade. Cross and Blackwell is just nasty. This is worth the price, no doubt.

I don't think you should say that till you've tried the roasted garlic-mint pan sauce I had the other night ;) :yum:

Wow,mmmm. I'm on the lookout for that. If I can't find it locally, I'm net ordering it. Thanks!

You'll probably have to order it Caslon, unless you have a British specialty shop around. It really is very special indeed, with a perfect balance of flavor.

I don't think you should say that till you've tried the roasted garlic-mint pan sauce I had the other night ;) :yum:
I was interested in that sauce you were served GG. It really sounds good.:yum:

I've never gotten into mint want lamb. Probably because I tried that green jelly stuff they sell. I'm happy with a herb crusted rack and a knife and fork.

I love lamb chops. If Cooked right they are the best. Having said that my DW and I went to a fancy restaurant. Kids were nice enough to let us go by ourselves. I asked the waiter about it and he promised me the world. What I got was super fat not cooked right, etc. Good thing it was really fancy place they took it back no questions asked. On the other hand I've been to some whole in. Wall place with dirty tables and half drunk waiter, but lamb chops were to die for. I had to order second portion even though it was not small. I totally over ate, but it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I've never gotten into mint want lamb. Probably because I tried that green jelly stuff they sell. I'm happy with a herb crusted rack and a knife and fork.

I'm the same way, Andy. I don't mind mint in certain foods, but don't care for it with meat, including lamb.

Lamb chops I like to eat naked (the lamb chops, not me! :ohmy:)

Roast leg of lamb I like to serve with a rosemary cream sauce. :yum:

Having said that, I usually put some sort of mint sauce out for guests because a lot of people do seem to like it.

Steve, I don't get to eat lamb as often as I'd like. SO dislikes it. Both daughters are OK with it but SIL won't touch it. So this weekend for our 4th of July cookout, I'm making beef souvlaki rather than lamb or pork because it's the "safe" alternative.

Steve, I don't get to eat lamb as often as I'd like. SO dislikes it. Both daughters are OK with it but SIL won't touch it. So this weekend for our 4th of July cookout, I'm making beef souvlaki rather than lamb or pork because it's the "safe" alternative.

Andy, since you're making souvlaki, why not make some lamb and some beef? They're naturally separated! ;)

I grew up on lamb shanks / chops / roasts with mint jelly. Until I was an adult, it's all I ever knew. I think it's that Irish/English family thing that my grandmother & my father brought over with them.

As an adult, I learned that lamb has a natural affinity for garlic-lemon-rosemary. I've never looked back. I like the complexity much better. I usually just do a simple pan sauce for chops; deglaze with white wine, add the garlic, lemon & rosemary.

For shanks, I've been braising with Moroccan spices. WOW!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to show me what should have been a nice dinner. So Lamb's not supposed to be grey, or a skinny anorexic chop!? That's what I got.
Beautiful pictures and recipes to. Can't beat that. I've learned a lot.

This is why I come here. You guys have been great learning me something new. When I get the chance your suggestions will be kept in mind, used.

Thank you

Munky. :)

Lamb is one of the dishes that is actually easier to do well as a home cook than in a restaurant. It should be about medium rare to just under medium. The problem with lamb is it is touchy. Leave it a bit too long, it goes into well done, and sucks. It is a very tricky meat to get the temperature right. Now if you are just serving it off the grill, it isn't that hard to do, in a restaurant environment, there are a lot of things that can go wrong between plating it and serving it. sits under the salamander for a bit too long? Suddenly the beautiful chop at the exact temperature becomes shoe leather.

Lamb is actually easy to prepare, you can do tricks with sauces and that is another discussion, but in a restaurant getting a decent lamb chop is more a testament to the establishment's organization and communication than the skill of the chef. With a little salt and pepper you can grill a perfect medium rare lamb chop on any fairly hot surface, given a modicum of practice. Now you probably couldn't do one in the middle of a 100 seat meal service, and have it be perfect when it gets to the table, but that is the advantage the home cook has over the pro chef.

I always worry when I see a lamb chop on a menu with a complicated heavy sauce. Heavy sauces cover many sins, and that tells me you aren't sure you'll get it out at the right temperature. Ketchup? Definite red flag there.

TBS

Lamb is one of the dishes that is actually easier to do well as a home cook than in a restaurant. It should be about medium rare to just under medium. The problem with lamb is it is touchy. Leave it a bit too long, it goes into well done, and sucks. It is a very tricky meat to get the temperature right. Now if you are just serving it off the grill, it isn't that hard to do, in a restaurant environment, there are a lot of things that can go wrong between plating it and serving it. sits under the salamander for a bit too long? Suddenly the beautiful chop at the exact temperature becomes shoe leather.

Lamb is actually easy to prepare, you can do tricks with sauces and that is another discussion, but in a restaurant getting a decent lamb chop is more a testament to the establishment's organization and communication than the skill of the chef. With a little salt and pepper you can grill a perfect medium rare lamb chop on any fairly hot surface, given a modicum of practice. Now you probably couldn't do one in the middle of a 100 seat meal service, and have it be perfect when it gets to the table, but that is the advantage the home cook has over the pro chef.

I always worry when I see a lamb chop on a menu with a complicated heavy sauce. Heavy sauces cover many sins, and that tells me you aren't sure you'll get it out at the right temperature. Ketchup? Definite red flag there.

TBS

The majority of us are home cooks and speaking for myself, have very little interest in what goes on in the "back" at a restaurant. There are very few restaurants in my area that we go to. Reviews and health code violations play heavily in the selection process. We do lamb very well at home and have never order it in a restaurant.

No mint sauce here. I developed a recipe for lamb chops with a dill sauce. I tried to attach the pdf but the file is 4 MB (with pics)--that exceeds the size allowed. If anyone wants the recipe card for the chops and sides, PM me.

Personally, despite being raised by a mother who wouldn't consider eating lamb without mint jelly, I never do anything much besides a bit of salt and pepper. Maybe I'm odd, but I simply like the flavor of naked lamb. :yum:

There isn't much I like more than a trio of 1" thick rib chops, lightly dusted with salt and pepper, then grilled medium rare. I don't like them frenched. As far as I'm concerned you are just cutting off perfectly good flavor doing that.

For saucing I prefer something like braised lamb shanks, served with the reduced braising liquid.

Back
Top Bottom