"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 07-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #61
Master Chef

To me "lamby tasting lamb" translates to Mutton.

Nasty tasting meat, Mutton, and the smell is even worse.

A lamb over a year old is Mutton. I suspect people who don't like "lamb" have only had Mutton.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:03 AM   #62
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

A lamb over a year old is Mutton. I suspect people who don't like "lamb" have only had Mutton.
Brings to mind that episode of Seinfeld where he ditches his girlfriend's mutton from his plate into his coat with a napkin. Someone borrows his coat later on and gets hounded by a pack of dogs.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:

In the Bahamas and in Jamaica, mutton is usually goat. I've had curried mutton in both places and it was quite good, not the least bit gamey.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Mutton is typically sheep, and it *is* quite gamey. We had it in Ireland.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The best lamb chops I've ever had were from a buffet at a resort in the Dominican Republic. Teeny tiny, barely cooked, but so good.

I have yet to try goat. When we were in Bonaire, goat stew was the special at one place, and was highly recommended and quite popular.

Mutton is not something I want to try again. Once was enough. Too gamey for moi.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #66
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
The best lamb chops I've ever had were from a buffet at a resort in the Dominican Republic. Teeny tiny, barely cooked, but so good.

I have yet to try goat. When we were in Bonaire, goat stew was the special at one place, and was highly recommended and quite popular.

Mutton is not something I want to try again. Once was enough. Too gamey for moi.
If the chops were that small the lamb was probably milk fed Dawg.

I fell in love with some baby lambs I bottle fed in New Zealand and I thought I'd never be able to eat lamb again. I got over it though.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
If the chops were that small the lamb was probably milk fed Dawg.

I fell in love with some baby lambs I bottle fed in New Zealand and I thought I'd never be able to eat lamb again. I got over it though.

Oh no! I'm sort of a farm girl, but not quite. Not sure I could eat something I named and fed!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I've seen them at Costco.Had a tough time buying them.
Were due for another run at Costco. Your right if you want something done right do it yourself.

That dinner was my first at try trying Lamb. It was a huge hurdle for me to get past what I raised as an FFA project. LOL!!!!
I had 4-H kids that knew from day one that they only named their animals for the sole purpose of selling them at the fair. Others were so attached to them, that I had a dorm full of young kids crying because they got top dollar for their animal. One girl who got $10,000 for her prize bull, she left the fair sobbing. She had delivered him and nursed him with a bottle. Even had the guts to lead him in the show and herding part. Every other kid had an adult male step in. I have never forgotten her. So I can understand what you are saying.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:04 AM   #69
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Mutton is typically sheep, and it *is* quite gamey. We had it in Ireland.
I'm aware of that, but in the Caribbean, sheep and goat are both mutton (at least on islands like the Bahamas and Jamaica with British backgrounds), and goat is far more common. When you see curry mutton on a restaurant menu, you can be 90% certain that it's goat.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:50 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

The feedback on this meal kit was "awesome, frigging amazing, whooza."My Dad loved it when I made it for him, but I think he was just really impressed that my name was one the recipe card. He loves it when I send him articles I've written. He has all of them in a binder. And has added this to the binder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lamb.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	24970   Click image for larger version

Name:	lamb_01.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	24971  

Tags
cook, lamb, recipe

How Should Lamb Chops be Cooked? We skipped going to the Bacon Fest and went and had dinner at a place that we had never been to before. BIG MISTAKE.:ohmy: First off I think some Yelp reviewers are liars. I would only have rated the place a 1, and that's just because I'm nice.They gave the place almost 5 stars.. Seriously? That being said. I went out of my comfort zone and ordered what should have been Lamb chops. It was the Special on the dinner menu. They were chopped alright. Never having it before I'm suspecting they over cooked it. Is Ketchup supposed to accompany it? I thought mint jelly was the rule. It was tough as nails. dry as dust, flavorless. S&P was the only seasoning. Is that the way it should have been cooked? Hubby and I traded plates. He's such a gentleman. :flowers: Ummm, the fish and chips that he ordered wasn't Cod as the menu said it was supposed to be. Rubber bands was more like it. Our dogs loved it. They would.:rolleyes: 3 stars 1 reviews