ISO advice on grinding lamb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I picked up a bunch of lamb today--thought I'd try making sausages...I have the casings, the meat grinder...any TNT recipes for lamb sausage? I'm venturing out into the unknown here-I haven't used my new meat grinder yet and I've never tried to make my own ground lamb sausages.

I haven't ground lamb either, but I do own the grinder attachment for my kitchenaid mixer and use it a lot. After you cube the meat, put the meat in the freezer for around 30 minutes or so to allow it to get good and cold and to firm up. Even slightly icy is ok. Just not frozen. Some say to put the grinder pieces in the fridge or freezer too, but I don't do that. The idea of things being real cold is so the meat doesn't heat up and partially cook as it goes through the grinder.
I tried stuffing casings once and it wasn't pretty. One of these days I'll work on it some more, but for now I just make bulk sausage and freeze it in convenient sized portions. I have taken some bulk sausage, shaped it into a link shape, wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap and put it into some simmering water to cook. Like a link sausage in a casing, but no casing, just the plastic wrap to keep the shape.

First, I have to clean the kitchen--since I was curling last night, I didn't get to turn on the hw heater and do dishes (besides which, it was WAY too late to do that by the time I got home--gosh do I hate this "Time of use" thing). I have a whole agenda of stuff to cook this weekend--ricotta gnocchi, mousaka, split pea soup, applesauce, sausage, flatbread.

I was thinking of just doing "rolls" of sausage for patties because I would take the casings off anyway...now the question is, which spices/seasonings?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom