"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb
Old 02-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
  1. Take some lamb chops from the loin or neck.
  2. Mix some bread crumbs with a little grated Parmesan cheese.
  3. Dip the chops first into clarified butter and bread crumbs, and afterwards into beaten egg and bread crumbs.
  4. Fry the chops as before until they are lightly browned on both sides, dish them in a circle, and send tomato sauce to table in a tureen.
  5. Time, ten to fifteen minutes

Cooking is my art!
philly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
Master Chef
Actually Philly - the question was about lamb "shanks" which require low-slow braising - not lamb "chops" which can be quick-cooked (pan fry, broil, grilled, etc.)

TreeMan - if they are cut like veal/beef shanks (1-2 inches thick) - you can treat them the same for a Lamb Osso Buco. Actually, I've used lamb shanks in place of beef shanks in several dishes with no problems - but they were all low-slow cooking to allow the connective tissue to melt.

Here are some ideas to get you started ... Lamb Shank Recipes.

I have had braised lamb shanks with beans (like Robo was talking about) and it was great!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Sous Chef
Even if not cut like osso bucco, the recipe for osso bucco is a good one for lamb shanks--a long slow braise of browned/seared meat.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:35 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Oh no. lamb shanks! More stuff I love that I've forgotten about. There's a Greek diner near me that makes them every Wednesday. Maybe I'll cheat, just a little bit and learn how to make them myself some other time. Oh rats, wednesday's Valentines Day, guess I'll have to wait.
Spiritboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #15
Senior Cook
I love baked lamb shanks. First of all, I always buy American lamb. Lamb from Australia and New Zealand is often very "muttony" in taste (strong lamb taste that many people dislike). I use a sharp paring knife to remove the membrane and excess fat from each shank. Season the shanks with salt, pepper, rosemary, herbs of your choice. Put the shanks in a roasting pan (I do not brown them first) and add broth or wine or a combination of both (about 1/2" to 1" of liquid). Smother the shanks with lots of sliced yellow onions and lots of chopped garlic. Sprigs of rosemary are good, too. Cover and bake in a 350F oven for 2-4 hours depending on the number of shanks. You'll know when they are ready -- the meat is tender and falls off the bone. Serve with juices over creamy polenta. Delicious!!!
auntieshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
The best lamb recipe I've had is this one. Enjoy!

BraiseMeUpBeforeYouGoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
This too is a great lamb shank recipe. Carribean style

americanwit is offline   Reply With Quote