ISO Lamb Shank Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Recipes for Greek dishes like Arni Yiouvetsi (Baked Lamb with Orzo Pasta) and Arni Fricasse (Lamb with lettuce). Let me know if you want me to post them.

Last edited:
Here are a bunch!
BBC Food - Recipes

Oh, sorry for the long url!! Hope it works properly. There is a way to turn these into a "tiny url"--maybe someone will do that.
Well, look there--it is a smart url and did it itself!!!

I just finished making some actually. I took a bottle of red wine, some shallots and garlic and reduced it by half. I browned the shanks (in a 425* oven for 20 minutes instead of individually in my enamel cast iron oven). Two onions sliced,3 cloves sliced garlic, and 2-3 carrots chunked and added to the wine concentrate. Add a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes and the browned shanks. Crumple a piece of parchment paper and put it in contact with the top of the liquid and shanks. Cover with dutch oven top. Bake at 300* for 2 hours.

love them cooked with white beans ... like a very simple cassoulet.

roast for an hour first to brown them. THen in a deep covered casserole (ie Dutch or French Oven) saute onions and garlic, add several cans of white beans drained, cup dry white wine, cup or so brown stock, tblspn or so tomato paste, several thyme sprigs or tsp dried thyme, bay leaf. Should look juicey...will reduce and thicken as beans cook. 2 1/2 to 3 hrs at 325-350*.
(option to add slices of garlic sausage to the mix during the last hour. Keilbasa is good or Salscison. )
just delish! we like to pull the meat off the bones and serve neat. Others like to give person a shank and spoon of beans.

Serve with crusty bread, green salad, roasted asparagus. fantastic

Thanks robo. Love lamb shanks, usually braise, and cassoulet but never thought about putting a casserole together like that.

That is one I really have to try.

boufa06 said:
Recipes for Greek dishes like Arni Yiouvetsi (Baked Lamb with Orzo Pasta) and Arni Fricasse (Lamb with lettuce). Let me know if you want me to post them.

PLEASE post the Arni Yiouvetsi recipe - sounds so good, my mouth is watering.... :chef:

Toots said:
PLEASE post the Arni Yiouvetsi recipe - sounds so good, my mouth is watering.... :chef:
Toots, sorry I missed your post. Here is the recipe for Arni Yiouvetsi. For a more flavourful dish, you can add a few bay leaves and 1/4 cup red wine.

Instructions

1. Take some lamb chops from the loin or neck.
  2. Mix some bread crumbs with a little grated Parmesan cheese.
  3. Dip the chops first into clarified butter and bread crumbs, and afterwards into beaten egg and bread crumbs.
  4. Fry the chops as before until they are lightly browned on both sides, dish them in a circle, and send tomato sauce to table in a tureen.
  5. Time, ten to fifteen minutes

Actually Philly - the question was about lamb "shanks" which require low-slow braising - not lamb "chops" which can be quick-cooked (pan fry, broil, grilled, etc.)

TreeMan - if they are cut like veal/beef shanks (1-2 inches thick) - you can treat them the same for a Lamb Osso Buco. Actually, I've used lamb shanks in place of beef shanks in several dishes with no problems - but they were all low-slow cooking to allow the connective tissue to melt.

Here are some ideas to get you started ... Lamb Shank Recipes.

I have had braised lamb shanks with beans (like Robo was talking about) and it was great!

Last edited:
Even if not cut like osso bucco, the recipe for osso bucco is a good one for lamb shanks--a long slow braise of browned/seared meat.

Oh no. lamb shanks! More stuff I love that I've forgotten about. There's a Greek diner near me that makes them every Wednesday. Maybe I'll cheat, just a little bit and learn how to make them myself some other time. Oh rats, wednesday's Valentines Day, guess I'll have to wait.:(

I love baked lamb shanks. First of all, I always buy American lamb. Lamb from Australia and New Zealand is often very "muttony" in taste (strong lamb taste that many people dislike). I use a sharp paring knife to remove the membrane and excess fat from each shank. Season the shanks with salt, pepper, rosemary, herbs of your choice. Put the shanks in a roasting pan (I do not brown them first) and add broth or wine or a combination of both (about 1/2" to 1" of liquid). Smother the shanks with lots of sliced yellow onions and lots of chopped garlic. Sprigs of rosemary are good, too. Cover and bake in a 350ºF oven for 2-4 hours depending on the number of shanks. You'll know when they are ready -- the meat is tender and falls off the bone. Serve with juices over creamy polenta. Delicious!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom