"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #71
Executive Chef

Yes, my comment was overly simplistic. I should have said "Or maybe raising grass-fed animals is too expensive." Thanks for your elaboration on the issues involved.

The age of the animal making for more intense flavor makes sense, and ties into your comments about the longer raising time of grass fed animals. And it seems to me that range raised animals are probably generally leaner and tougher, and probably more tasty too. I know that applies to chickens for sure.

It's going to take me quite a long time to read and understand the article. I've bookmarked it for future use. Although I haven't completed it yet it looks like a good article.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #72
Head Chef

*sigh* The packaged lamb cubes I buy now that's cut for stew looks like lean chunks of beef. It's great in that I don't spend an hour carefully cutting away the fat like I used to have to do for my lamb curry. It's not so great that the flavor isn't there like it used to be. Lamb curry should have some lamb taste, it has little nowadays, at least the lamb for stew available to me. I admit I'm talking about supermarket available packaged lamb. Where I live, there aren't that many butcher shops I wanna walk into, let alone drive around that dilapidated part of town.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Coming up to Easter, I'm sure I would be able to get a whole baby lamb at my Greek supermarket. Soon, I expect to see that in the butcher display case.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

The folks I know who raise lamb for meat, tend to send them for slaughter in the fall so they can be on the grass pasture for about 5 months, grain-fed the last month. It runs $8.50/lb dressed, so it is definitely not an inexpensive meat. Interestingly enough, sheep can suffer from copper toxicity if the pasture isn't the right blend of grasses. This shows up in the wool (and stays in the liver forever). It can be fatal as well as it is difficult to correct re: grazing land. This may contribute to why lamb is grain fed. That, and one doesn't need a flock guardian to protect against predators if sheep/lambs are not out grazing.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #75
Executive Chef

The color of the meat can range from pink to dark red. Generally the darker the color the stronger the flavor. The darker meat used to be referred to as mutton and is from older lamb.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #76
Master Chef

I'm in the camp that misses the "gamy" flavor lamb had when I was younger. If it tastes like beef, why bother? I was curious, and this is a lamb-raising area, so I asked a farmer I know .... Is it my imagination? He said they get lamb to market much younger than even 20 years ago. "Are you saying the flavor I used to think of as lamb was really closer to mutton? Yes. He did say that they use a better quality of feed these days as well.

From cooking really gamy game, the soaking in milk/buttermilk/yogurt works (watch the live cultures, they can over-tenderize leaving you with mush), and strong flavors to go with strong flavored meat: Chile of various types, anything made with a hearty red wine (stroganof is a favorite way to prepare gamy flavors, and "boueuf bourginion" type recipes. In these marinade the cubed meat in some of the wine, onions, garlic, bay leaves -- lots of aromatics.)

Tags
None