ISO method to remove lamb's "odor/gameyness"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seung

Assistant Cook
Hi,;),

Pls.help me to find out how to get rid of gamey lamb before cooking. I've tried using garlic, ginger, lemon juice,pepper,etc.. not to mention of remove all fat from lamb. Is there any other way to rid of gamey lamb?

Thanks ,regards
Seung

Hi, seung. First, let me welcome you to DC.

As for your lamb question, what cut of lamb do you have and how do you wish to cook it?

I've heard lamb described as "soapy." Can you describe the gamey flavor that is bothering you?

I just bought several pounds of breast ribs and will barbecue them. I usually put the ribs in a pot, cover with water, add salt and pepper and cook until just tender. Drain, then finish cooking on the grill, brushing with my homemade barbecue sauce.

I cook other cuts of lamb differently. We especially like lamb chops here and I cook them a variety of ways - teriyaki, sweet-and-sour, cherry sauce, etc.

you could try marinating in milk, or better yet buttermilk.

i've never tried it on lamb, but it keeps fish from smelling (without having to cut off their noses :rolleyes: ).

and you would get the benefit of the tenderizing agents in milk.

k.t.e, was your lamb american, or imported, most likely from down under.

i've found american lamb is much less gamey.

Thanks. I am palnning to open a (lamb) restaurant in overseas (Asian people are not very familiar with lamb and they are very sensitive with the gamey lamb) how can I huge quantity of lamb to marinate with milk, the cost of milk will be too much.

seung, I think you have given yourself a significant challenge. Lamb, whether marinated, soaked, etc. is going to have it's "signature" flavor.

You don't say where you live, but you might pose questions to the American Lamb Board via the Internet. They might be able to offer assistance/suggestions.

Best wishes on your endeavor.

Thanks very much for you advice.:)
I will contact with american lamb board right now.
best wishes to you as well!!:cool:

I forgot to tell you that I live in Australia. Nice to talk to such a nice person like you:-p .

(forehead slap).....Seung, the problem is, you bought lamb from Austrailia and not the US. Austrailian meat is much more "gamier" than US meat.

Young lamb is not "gamey" although as someone said, it does have its very own flavor which is a total love or hate it affair. Mutton is very strong. Why are you opening a lamb restaurant? Actually, lamb and mutton are eaten by Asians--muslims. there are good restaurants serving it in Xian, for example.
You are taking a big chance to try to do a restaurant menu for something you seem to have no experience with. I don't think consulting with a "board" will do you any good. You need to develop recipes that are suitable--and Australia has more lamb than almost any other country. Consult an Australian source.

I am thinking of te posibilities of
lamb jajang, lamb su yuk, lamb jam bong...

I may be the odd duck in the flock but I like a 'lamby' taste.

When I was a kid we had lamb fairly often and I loved it. But that was many years ago. My guess is it was American lamb since it was fresh and few foods were shipped in from abroad (we only had many veggies and fruits during the season for example).

Then for a number of years had lamb rarely. Not by personal choice but for circumstantial reasons.

When we got married and started buying lamb again we were disappointed, it just didn't taste right. It lacked the taste of the delightful lamb we remembered.

And so we sort of abandoned it as regular fare.

Recently we were in London (yippee!!!) and the first night found lamb on the menu at the local pub. Actually it looks like a pub and is one, but it has a restaurant area with a menu that sports some dishes that exceed the obligatory 'pub grub' (not that we mind that stuff at all).

We both had the lamb. ambrosia. Done to perfection (very pink on the inside) served with a lamb sauce. And a taste that brought back all of the flavors of our childhoods.

Unfortunately it was accompanied by the obligatory mash (no cream or butter therein) and boiled veggies, sigh. A bit, just an iota, of creativity with the sides, would have been a blessing. We did not expect stuffed baby zucchinii, but just tossing some aging pole beans and baby carrots into boiling water for a few minutes and serving them just plain naked should be considered a capital offense. Maybe a few cook's heads removed in the Tower would brake that crime against side dishes, but I doubt it. The Brits seem wedded to the stuff.

Sorry, I became distracted.

To the point, we loved the lamb so much we had it three times in little over a week (fancy restaurants be darned, that was good lamb).

Of course the veggies remained forever as boring as watching your favoirte baseball team, thirty-nine games out of first place, playing their last game of the season, but we were there for the lamb.

My point, and I guess I have to have one, is that I have come to the realization that we like a 'lamby' or I suppose 'gamey' taste to our lamb.

Just wish we knew where to get some here.

Purchased some lamb a week ago, it was called a steak. Can only think it was taken from the sirloin from the size and structure of the meat. But that is not important.

We cooked it medium rare. And it tasted nondescript. You could tell it was meat, but there was no flavor. An old piece of cow would have had more to tingle the taste buds. Yeesh.

So I, nay we, love lamb. But we like the taste, which I suppose the lamb raising folks are desperately trying to extinguish from the breed so more folks will eat the stuff.

Phooey, lamb shold be what it is.

Take the lambiness (no that is not a word) out of the meat and you are left with, well, nothing in my opinion. A piece of generic meat that has about as much flavor as melba toast.

Give us a good piece of lamb, or lacking that, a leg from your mama. We might be able to take a full mutton, or maybe not.

But would be willing to do a full mutton experience.

Take the fundamental flavor from lamb and I belive you are destroying one of the truly enjoyable meat tastes one can experience.

Just my take on things.

Take care and God bless.

seung said:
I am thinking of te posibilities of
lamb jajang, lamb su yuk, lamb jam bong...

Not everyone will order these dishes--if they don't care for lamb. They will order other things. It isn't unusual to have lamb on a menu as an offering with other things so people can have a broad choice. If you take the lamb "taste" out, those who like lamb will not like the dish.

Australian lamb is no more "gamey", in my opinion, than american, and I purchase a whole lamb most years from a small farm in Ohio. But if it is not young lamb, then the flavor change is noticeable. Not necessarily unpleasant to me, but to those who do not like lamb, it will not be good.

Lamb has its own unique flavor. grilling it and serving it rare lessens the lambiness that somepeople don't like. (I love it) cooking well done and roasting accentuates it. I've had several Asian lamb dishes including a Vietnamese lamb with basil that was outstanding. I'm sure with the right recipes your endeavour will be very successful.

New Zealand lamb doesn't taste gamey. American lamb does. If you are in Australia, someone there should have told you that by now.

Well, I don't think any of it tastes gamey any more, no matter where it comes from--IF it is young lamb.

Lamb has a distinct flavor ... regardless of age or where grown ... and even at it's mildest some people think it taste "gamey". Personally, the more "gamey" (the more pronounced the lamb flavor) the better I like it.

Personally - trying to remove the flavor of lamb to make it neutral like pork, chicken or beef would be a shame.

Isn't this like trying to get fish not to taste like fish?

I'm with auntdot (and others). I guess I don't see the problem.

Lamb is what it is, and the flavor is wonderful. I don't know what kind of lamb you're getting, but I've had lamb hundreds of times in Australia and had it prepared dozens of different ways. I've never heard anyone complain that the lamb tasted too lamby.

Why plan to open a lamb-focused restaurant when it seems that the flavor is offensive to you?

Back
Top Bottom