ISO Rump of lamb recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about 'rump' of lamb - seems like it'd be pretty small, lol - but here's a good one for leg of lamb -

ROAST LEG OF LAMB PROVENCAL

3-3 ½ lbs. leg of lamb
fresh rosemary
shards of parmesan
1 lemon zested in wide strips
several peeled garlic cloves
salt/pepper
1 cup dry red wine
1T chopped shallot
2T unsalted butter

Tear rosemary into small sprigs. Cut garlic in half if large; with a small knife, make about 10-12 evenly spaced incisions into the lamb; into each opening, stuff a piece of garlic, a piece of lemon zest, a shard of parmesan and a few sprigs of rosemary.
Place into a ziplock, and pour in red wine along with any remaining rosemary and garlic, and the pulp of the lemon; marinate for several hours. Heat oven to 350; place lamb and marinade in roasting pan and roast approximately 1 hour. Remove the meat to a cutting board to rest.
Strain juices and degrease; pour back into roasting pan and reduce. Whisk in butter and season to taste.

I do this: mix olive oil, crushed garlic, mustard, rock salt, finely chopped herbs, a little honey and pepper in a bowl. Sread quite thickly over the leg of lamb. Refrigerate for a at least and hour and cook in oven.
Bon appétit!

rock salt? :shock:
do you mean large chunk sea salt balibar? rock salt is impure salt used for de-icing roads and walkways. it is kinda beige to gray, from the dirt and other stuff mixed in.
i keep large chunk sea salt in a pepper grinder (next to my black pepper grinder) for such occasions. depending on how you need the salt, you can adjust the nut on top of the grinder for coarse or fine salt.

Tx, we did this for a cooking class and it was just marvelous! The cooking time does give you med to med rare, tho, so if you want more well done, let it go longer.

Not that kind of rock salt! :LOL:
On the packet, the (scant) information in english says "rock salt", go figure. It's french salt anyway, so I guess that explains it.
I should have been suspicious as I recently bought a packet of"sucre semoule" that was translated as "castor"... which in French means "beaver". :?

Yes, I know caster sugar. I was only pointing out the exotic translation.
I use regular sea-salt La Baleine for cooking (fine and coarse) and prefer the greyish "sel de Guérande" for the table. The only thing is you can't put it in a shaker because it's too fine, almost powdery, and it won't pour.
They also sell in little individual shakers but it's a hassle because you keep having to hit the bottom of the shaker to get the salt out. It's the exact opposite of Morton salt.

Try this

If you want some lamb rump ideas see if these are to your liking.
Seared Rump, to your cooking degree, on a salad of rocket, watercress, roasted cherry tomatoes, spiked with chilli or not,
and shaved parmessan.
Again seared rump with a wild berry coulis, I use blueberries blackberries and strawberries, either that or a bag of frozen berries will do if out of season.
Schewzan pepper crusted rump with blackberry vinagrette.

Lamb Fillet can also be a very tasty change. Expensive but worth every dollar.

Back
Top Bottom