ISO sheep or goat ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hades

Cook
I came across an excellent arab (moroccan I guess) butcher recently. Who carries (along the usual meats that don't come from pigs) sheep and goat.
I've been told that both meats are very tasty, but I didn't buy any because I don't know what to do with them.
Does any of you have ideas or recipe's designed for (or adapted to) either one of these?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
Great Greek Meatballs!!

Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger or ground lamb
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs ( I use garlic flavored)
1/2 parsely
1 small onion, greated or chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
mix all ingredients together

shape in to balls

roll in flour

fry in good olive oil!!

eat

enjoy

ask for more

Roasted Leg of lamb is wonderful!!:):)

West indian -Goat curry! I haven't had it since I was a kid, but it was good. Mutton is a great meat, quite "gamey" tasting sometimes. In England the oldest I can come up with is hoggitt or year old, which is still soft enough to roast, I put some water in the pan to steam it as it roasts and help produce a soft roast meat. An older sheep I think I would think of mutton pies and stews as a first choice - if I could get it.

But if the sheep is just lamb - my goodness, its one of the loveliest meats going and there are a wealth of thinks to do with it. I love minted lamb chops with redcurrant jelly, morrocan tagines with dried fruits served with cous cous, even shepards pie - my fathers all time favourite meal and, imo, far superior to the beef version of cottage pie! In fact, I would do the shepards pie with mutton too.

I have almost 30 years experience with butchering, packaging and cooking with chevon (goat meat). What cuts of meat are available and what types of recipes are you looking for?

I've eaten lamb since I was a kid...great with garlic, rosemary, or in a stew (Irish of French) Lamb grills well, is great with lemmon, very versatile. Goat is similar in flavor, but more like beef in texture. Many feel they have a "gamey" flavor compared to beef or pork. Not really so, each meat has it's own taste. It is we Americans who have so processed all flavor out of our food. So give it a try. Lamb is safe to eat rare or medium.

I'm not too keen on goat, but I love lamb and even mutton, if it can be found!

I've posted lots of lamb recipes here and so have many other posters. You're bound to find a recipe you'd like by using the 'search' option at the top of the page!

Goat to me is much less gamier than lamb. The meat is much more succulent and actually depending on where you buy it from is more expensive than lamb.

The best cut of meats (strictly my opinion) with goat and lamb are as follows:

Leg - You can marinate the entire goat leg or lamb leg with a marinade of your choice, I like a marinade with aromatic spices (cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, garlic, corrainder, cumin, red chilli powder, paprika, saffron) and yogurt overnight and then bake it in the oven.

Shanks - I prepare them similarly to the leg. I also sometimes ask the butcher to chop mine into chunks and I either make a stew with it - I like to add whole baby onions, baby potatoes and cook it in my pressure cooker so it's done in no time.

Ground Lamb or Goat - Expensive but great to make sheekh kababs if you like Indian food or meatball curry. You season the ground meat with ginger and garlic (minced) add freshly chopped mint, cilantro, spices of your choice and skewer them and grill.

Chops - I like it grilled and also fpan fried. Yes the fried ones are to die for. We like to marinate it with ginger for several hours and then coat it in some seasoned chick pea flour and then pan fry it until crispy and done. It is a great appetizer. Not cheap but very good.

Actually, since I've always enjoyed lamb, I've always wanted to try goat kid, but since my husband doesn't eat red meat, have never had the chance.

When we were on our honeymoon in St. Lucia, there were several restaurants who advertised Goat Curry, but unfortunately they were farther away than we wanted to travel at night (St. Lucia was just BARELY developed for the tourist trade back then, & long nighttime sojourns from ones hotel were discouraged).

However, I do have a wonderful organic/free-range farm right around the corner from me that raise organic/free-range bison, chickens, eggs, turkeys, rabbit, pork, AND goat, & sell various cuts from their own on-farm butcher shop.

I'm thinking that perhaps I'll spring for some goat cuts for myself & just cook hubby poultry using the same basic preps/veggies I use for the goat.

I never see goat around here. The only place I have seen it is in a supermarket in Aruba. I've always been tempted to buy some but SO is not as adventurous as I.

I like jerk goat. You season the goat with a jerk seasoning rub and then slow cook it the way you would pulled pork bbq. It's really good in a smoker. I like lamb anyway I can get it.

The first thing that comes to mind is ShisKebab(sp) and roasted leg of lamb.

P.S. The shish kebab I'm talking about is not made of ground meat, I never seen it made from ground meat untill I came to America.

Last edited:
Hades said:
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: It took me a few minutes to figure out what FryBoy meant... The possible mix up in interpretation was not intended... realy... :wacko:

English is full of double entendres, especially if you're less than pure of heart and mind, like some of us. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom