"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I see no reason why you can't roast it at about 180c for 20mins per pound. I do and use the remains chopped up in a risotto. It has a higher fat content than the leg so score the skin and then either rub in salt and garlic paste, or spread with apricot conserve about 1/2 way through cooking. Another nice idea is to make up some breadcrumb type stuffing ( or use packet such as PAXO ) and use it as a crust.
I think it is great roasted, not tough because it is LAMB after all but if you want something exotic then look up some lamb tagine recipes. Or cut at the joint and do one of each suggestion. The tagine will freeze for another time

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
I see no reason why you can't roast it at about 180c for 20mins per pound. I do and use the remains chopped up in a risotto. It has a higher fat content than the leg so score the skin and then either rub in salt and garlic paste, or spread with apricot conserve about 1/2 way through cooking. Another nice idea is to make up some breadcrumb type stuffing ( or use packet such as PAXO ) and use it as a crust.
I think it is great roasted, not tough because it is LAMB after all but if you want something exotic then look up some lamb tagine recipes. Or cut at the joint and do one of each suggestion. The tagine will freeze for another time
I'm with a fellow Brit here. Shoulder is one of my favourite cuts of lamb but we don't normally get the ribs attached to the shoulder here. This -
http://www.robertnashbutchers.co.uk/...amb%20cuts.gif
- is our shoulder cut which is a pig to carve with the bone in so I often bone it out (with a family full of butchers I know how to do it without boning my fingers as well!), stuff it and roll it before roasting. Any stuffing with apricots in it is good with lamb as are rosemary and mint.

Another easy but tasty recipe you could adapt to the US cut is this one from Mary Berry - Very simple but includes the ubiquitous mint sauce which is very British!
Mary Berry Cooks: Slow-roast shoulder of lamb and rosemary and paprika rub and fresh mint sauce | Mail Online

There may be a difference between what we call lamb and what the US calls lamb. Over here the meat of a sheep is "lamb" when it's slaughtered at 5-6 months old. After that it becomes a "hogget" and later still "mutton". I understand the American lamb may be older (up to a year?) and therefore may need slightly more careful cooking.

We sometimes casserole shoulder of lamb but if we do, it needs to be have its main cooking the day before consumption and refrigerated so the fat can be removed from the top of the cold casserole before reheating as it can make the casserole too greasy. As with any casserole or stew, it improves with making the day before.

As well as tagines and other middle eastern recipes lamb is often used in curries such as lamb rogan josh.

I hope all this isn't more than you wanted to know

Tags
None