"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Half Baked

I have tried using pork chops and marinating them in red wine,rosemary and garlic overnight and they made a descent substitute for my lamb chops but I have not tried goat as a sub yet.

I do like goat but the cuts I have access to would probably be better in a stew type dish. I have not tried goat leg but I bet it stronger tasting than lamb.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
Cosco always has lamb at good prices..
I've just found that there is a Cosco about 40 minutes from my house.

I'm single, have only a couple cats. Would Cosco still be a good deal for me, including the $50 a year membership fee?

I do use a large freezer and a large pantry, so buying some items in bulk with a substantial savings would benefit me. Is there much of a savings difference between the Walmart Super Store and Cosco?

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy
I've just found that there is a Cosco about 40 minutes from my house.

I'm single, have only a couple cats. Would Cosco still be a good deal for me, including the $50 a year membership fee?

I do use a large freezer and a large pantry, so buying some items in bulk with a substantial savings would benefit me. Is there much of a savings difference between the Walmart Super Store and Cosco?

Thanks!
Oh man, I have Costco envy! They have great prices on electronics, tools, even coffins! Their wine selection is wonderful. Our nearest one is 3 hours away. Wallyworld just ain't the same.

I start to hyperventilate when I walk in. Huge jars of pickled artichokes. Take a cooler.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Half Baked

I don't but meats at costco because I get better deals at the supers when things are on sale.Costco meats are always the top price what the supers are. I do go there specificaly for their multi grain bread though. I think is far better than any other. I will buy seafood from time to time there if it is on ice and not cellophaned.
The quality of their Halibut is hard to come by.

If you are single find a freind and go with them to see if could work for you.I don't know if you need a card for Costco Online but you can most of the same stuff and whole more minus food online.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
How much do your cats eat?

I have Sam's Club (a glorified Walmart), no Costco. While I did like walking in there, no, they were not worth the membership fee and drive to get there. You can only stock up on so much stuff... unless you've got a bunker in your basement
Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I don't but meats at costco because I get better deals at the supers when things are on sale.Costco meats are always the top price what the supers are.
Thanks! I think I'll try it for one year and see how it goes. The Walmart Super Store is 25 minutes one way and the Cosco is 40 in the other direction, so the 15 minute difference is negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh man, I have Costco envy! They have great prices on electronics, tools, even coffins! Their wine selection is wonderful. Our nearest one is 3 hours away. Wallyworld just ain't the same.

I start to hyperventilate when I walk in. Huge jars of pickled artichokes. Take a cooler.
Ha! Yer killin me!

I'll get a membership and take an afternoon to visit and try Cosco's products. I always take a cooler to the long distance stores. I have one that is on wheels and has an expanding handle so I can roll it into the house.

Thanks folks!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
Executive Chef

i love lamb too, but buy it seldom.--same with veal chops. these meats are not as accessible as the usual supermarket fare. i have the time to shop leisurely and strategically, and do. i try to buy my lamb and veal when they are close-dated, and marked down. i keep an eye out for packages of veal and lamb as to date, and from there it's simply a matter of good timing. i do this also with mushrooms, cheeses, and specialty breads such as sourdough and olive bread. i try to be ready with extra money for an unexpected deal on, say, a marked down rack of lloyd's bar-b-cued spareribs.--there's almost always something....
Old 07-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I love a good deal on marked down meat. "Manager's Special" they call it around here. I've gotten some good ribeyes that way.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef

We are surrounded by sheep farmers here so I get good deals for lambs or hoggets, spring lamb is always expensive so I wait for the september lambs.They are bigger and for us have more flavor. I buy two which lasts us for the year.A whole Lamb head of non butchered cost about $100.
Does anyone cook the scrag end or neck it really is the sweetest meat on the lamb.
My last rack clic on pics to make them biggerClick image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 054.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	11650

Click image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 057.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	11651
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
We are surrounded by sheep farmers here so I get good deals for lambs or hoggets, spring lamb is always expensive so I wait for the september lambs.They are bigger and for us have more flavor. I buy two which lasts us for the year.A whole Lamb head of non butchered cost about $100.
Does anyone cook the scrag end or neck it really is the sweetest meat on the lamb.
Wow, must be nice! Great location for a lamb lover.

The meat in the pics looks absolutely delicious! Looks like it would melt on the tongue.

Tags
lamb