Lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you Timothy.
Winters day Scrag End Stew.
Using a knife and cleaver cut the neck into 1" thick slices.
Place the slices in a slow cooker season.
Cover with a layer of thick slices of potato, then a layer of onion,then carrots, then swede(rutterbuggers) season each layer. Repeat the process till you run out of neck, add a little stock or water, slow cook for 8 to 10 hrs.
Comfort food 101:)
Ps you can brown the neck and treat it like oxtail.

Last edited:
We are surrounded by sheep farmers here so I get good deals for lambs or hoggets, spring lamb is always expensive so I wait for the september lambs.They are bigger and for us have more flavor. I buy two which lasts us for the year.A whole Lamb head of non butchered cost about $100.
Does anyone cook the scrag end or neck it really is the sweetest meat on the lamb.
My last rack clic on pics to make them biggerView attachment 11650

View attachment 11651

bolas, here i am at 6:00 in the morning, lusting over your pic'd lamb chops with a magnifying glass - they're done to perfection, bolas! am i only imagining the pink in the center? i could easily eat a whole hogget by myself, right here, right now!:pig:

Wow, must be nice! Great location for a lamb lover.

in north wales, the sheep that kick hard have a big red x painted on their backs...:cool:

bolas, mein bruder, i love lamb neck.

i make a fronch style stew using lamb necks and the boney-er shoulder chops. great stuff. my parents love it and often mention that fact so that i'll make them a pot whenever we go to visit.

I got 4 lamb blade chops and if all goes as planned they will be dinner tomorrow night. Highly seasoned then fried in cast iron pan to brown. Add grated garlic, lemon juice, dry rosemary, several drops of gravy master (if needed) and enough water to just come to top of chops, then simmer till tender. Served with creamy garlic egg noodles with peas & a steamed veggie (and/or salad). Will post pics if it turns out good.

I go very early in the a.m. durng the week and look at the meat counter and what's been marked down. That's the only way I can buy lamb or veal reasonably priced. I have a FoodSaver, so I freeze it. Here in the east we have BJ's Warehouse, and I can usually get it cheaper there, also.

I got 4 lamb blade chops and if all goes as planned they will be dinner tomorrow night. Highly seasoned then fried in cast iron pan to brown. Add grated garlic, lemon juice, dry rosemary, several drops of gravy master (if needed) and enough water to just come to top of chops, then simmer till tender. Served with creamy garlic egg noodles with peas & a steamed veggie (and/or salad). Will post pics if it turns out good.

i already got mine--pic, that is, of the lamb dinner you are planning for tomorrow night. it's a sight to behold! i get so much pleasure from fantasizing about food--and it doesn't cost me a thing, either. see what bolas started with his unbelievable grilled lamb-fest?! when it comes to lamb, i can't help myself--there's something so rustic and primitive about it--it brings out the glutton in me every time....:pig:

i already got mine--pic, that is, of the lamb dinner you are planning for tomorrow night. it's a sight to behold! i get so much pleasure from fantasizing about food--and it doesn't cost me a thing, either. see what bolas started with his unbelievable grilled lamb-fest?! when it comes to lamb, i can't help myself--there's something so rustic and primitive about it--it brings out the glutton in me every time....:pig:
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

bolas, here i am at 6:00 in the morning, lusting over your pic'd lamb chops with a magnifying glass - they're done to perfection, bolas! am i only imagining the pink in the center? i could easily eat a whole hogget by myself, right here, right now!:pig:
Yes they were pink, we like them that way.:)

in north wales, the sheep that kick hard have a big red x painted on their backs...:cool:

bolas, mein bruder, i love lamb neck.

i make a fronch style stew using lamb necks and the boney-er shoulder chops. great stuff. my parents love it and often mention that fact so that i'll make them a pot whenever we go to visit.
Tom mein mate, the nearer the bone the sweeter the meat:cool:

Yes they were pink, we like them that way.:)
Oh man, nice rare lamb has such a sweet, full flavored taste that is lost when overcooked. I like it almost raw. Cooked over an extremely high flame until the outside is slightly burnt and the center still slightly raw, but warm. OMG, I've got Niagara Falls in my mouth just thinking about it!:pig::pig::chef:

I've just found that there is a Cosco about 40 minutes from my house.

I'm single, have only a couple cats. Would Cosco still be a good deal for me, including the $50 a year membership fee?

I do use a large freezer and a large pantry, so buying some items in bulk with a substantial savings would benefit me. Is there much of a savings difference between the Walmart Super Store and Cosco?

Thanks!

With us it is just me, husband, and new doggie. When I lived in Florida, near my extended family, it was well worth the fees to do Sam's (Costco would be similar). I had several walk-in closets, a small chest freezer, and a 2 car garage (and only one car) and fed much of my family a lot of the time. But here the nearest Sams is about 25 miles away, and in the winter, that's a bear. My storage is limited. It just wouldn't be worth it for us. My little freezer (you know, the little one above your fridge) can't handle bulk, and buying huge jars of things that I have to open, then figure out how to store? Just wouldn't work here. So I really can't imagine it being worth it for a single person unless you entertain a lot or have a lot of family dropping in. Even with the storage you have, you have to consider shelf life and freezer burn.

On the other hand, if you're thinking of a major electronics or automotive purchase, may be well worth the bucks to join. We purchased our F-150 a dozen years ago through Sam's and were really happy with the discount. I don't know if Costco has a similar program (or for that matter, if Sam's still does).

With us it is just me, husband, and new doggie. When I lived in Florida, near my extended family, it was well worth the fees to do Sam's (Costco would be similar)...

Thank you so much for all the information, Claire. I think I'll go ahead and get a membership for one year. I'll see during that first year of it's worth it to me to continue.:rolleyes:

Thanks again! :)

I'm not sure if this is still true, but Sam's Club used to give you a pass for one day so that you can get a "feel" for how it would work for you. It's worth a try.

I'm not sure if this is still true, but Sam's Club used to give you a pass for one day so that you can get a "feel" for how it would work for you. It's worth a try.

i remember hearing about that one day pass as well. also, a pass for one day as the guest of an existing member.

vitauta said:
i remember hearing about that one day pass as well. also, a pass for one day as the guest of an existing member.

We go to Costco in Chicago with my BIL, who has a membership. He pays for our stuff with his Costco CC, and we pay him back. He gets some sort of points as well.

I'm up in that area twice a month to go to my favorite restaurant anyway, and a $50 risk for an entire year of experiment is worth it to me, so the next time I'm up there eating, I'll stop by and join up.

The restaurant, btw, is "Wasabi" restaurant on 115 in Jacksonville, Florida. They have a buffet for $18 that is truly awesome. I would eat there 4 days a week if I could afford it. A sushi line with 8-10 types of nigiri, Big bowls of sashimi of tuna, salmon and escolar at the end of that line.

Then the rolls...OMG, about 20 types of rolls. Each with very balanced meat, not like the junk in grocery store sushi.

The rolls, nigiri and sashimi are all very good quality. Not high end $5 a bite stuff, but damn good for an "all you can eat" place.

They also have a hot food line with crab legs, shrimp and such. And soups, salads, oyster bar...kimche....and a generous grill selection for starters. I love this place!

The staff are all like family to me now. They are all like my children now! If you're ever in Jacksonville, Florida and love sushi, give this place a try.

In fact...it's been a couple weeks now....:LOL::pig::pig::pig:

We are surrounded by sheep farmers here so I get good deals for lambs or hoggets, spring lamb is always expensive so I wait for the september lambs.

Bolas, I live in lamb and dairy land, and dairy means veal. You'd think that would mean I'd be able to get lamb and veal in season in abundance, but the way our food industry works in this country, you'd be more likely to get our local lamb and veal from around here in Chicago, LA, or NYC than in our local grocery stores.

I agree about the older lamb. I did have an acquaintance who raised lambs for meat (I still know him, he just doesn't do it any more. The younger generation didn't want to take over the business, and it simply was too much work for too little profit). I asked him why lamb tastes too darned mild nowadays. He replied that they're faster to get younger lambs to market, that and diet. I said, "Do you mean I probably grew up eating mutton?" Well, maybe not that old, but yes. I miss that gaminess! I asked him about the lamb I buy in the local grocery store, and he replied that most of it comes from NZ -- right here, where they are raising them a stone's throw from the stores where I shop.

Lamb blade chops (rubbed with EVOO & highly seasoned with my all purpose seasoning blend - garlic powder, onion powder, Goya adobo seasoning, accent, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, ground red pepper flakes, cayenne, Hungarian hot paprika, ground thyme and ground rosemary) then fried in cast iron pan till nicely browned. Add to pan 3 cloves fresh garlic grated, juice of 1 lemon, pinch dry rosemary, several drops of gravy master and enough water to just come to top of chops, and then simmer till tender (turning once), about 1 TBSP softened butter mashed with about 1 TBSP flour added to pan juices to make a gravy. The sides are egg noodles in a creamy garlic béchamel sauce with peas (grated fresh garlic sautéed in butter till fragrant then flour added and cooked for 1 minute, enough ½ & ½ added to make a nicely thickened sauce and a sprinkle of dry parsley then tossed with cooked egg noodles and frozen peas) & green bean salad (steamed fresh green beans tossed while hot in fresh lemon juice, EVOO, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns and grated fresh garlic).

img_1031811_0_e4bcdf4c70fcbf7eb8c6536250670964.jpg

Back
Top Bottom