"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Thank you Timothy.
Winters day Scrag End Stew.
Using a knife and cleaver cut the neck into 1" thick slices.
Place the slices in a slow cooker season.
Cover with a layer of thick slices of potato, then a layer of onion,then carrots, then swede(rutterbuggers) season each layer. Repeat the process till you run out of neck, add a little stock or water, slow cook for 8 to 10 hrs.
Comfort food 101
Ps you can brown the neck and treat it like oxtail.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
We are surrounded by sheep farmers here so I get good deals for lambs or hoggets, spring lamb is always expensive so I wait for the september lambs.They are bigger and for us have more flavor. I buy two which lasts us for the year.A whole Lamb head of non butchered cost about $100.
Does anyone cook the scrag end or neck it really is the sweetest meat on the lamb.
My last rack clic on pics to make them biggerAttachment 11650

Attachment 11651
bolas, here i am at 6:00 in the morning, lusting over your pic'd lamb chops with a magnifying glass - they're done to perfection, bolas! am i only imagining the pink in the center? i could easily eat a whole hogget by myself, right here, right now!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Wow, must be nice! Great location for a lamb lover.
in north wales, the sheep that kick hard have a big red x painted on their backs...

bolas, mein bruder, i love lamb neck.

i make a fronch style stew using lamb necks and the boney-er shoulder chops. great stuff. my parents love it and often mention that fact so that i'll make them a pot whenever we go to visit.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #24
Master Chef

I got 4 lamb blade chops and if all goes as planned they will be dinner tomorrow night. Highly seasoned then fried in cast iron pan to brown. Add grated garlic, lemon juice, dry rosemary, several drops of gravy master (if needed) and enough water to just come to top of chops, then simmer till tender. Served with creamy garlic egg noodles with peas & a steamed veggie (and/or salad). Will post pics if it turns out good.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #25
Senior Cook

I go very early in the a.m. durng the week and look at the meat counter and what's been marked down. That's the only way I can buy lamb or veal reasonably priced. I have a FoodSaver, so I freeze it. Here in the east we have BJ's Warehouse, and I can usually get it cheaper there, also.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I got 4 lamb blade chops and if all goes as planned they will be dinner tomorrow night. Highly seasoned then fried in cast iron pan to brown. Add grated garlic, lemon juice, dry rosemary, several drops of gravy master (if needed) and enough water to just come to top of chops, then simmer till tender. Served with creamy garlic egg noodles with peas & a steamed veggie (and/or salad). Will post pics if it turns out good.

i already got mine--pic, that is, of the lamb dinner you are planning for tomorrow night. it's a sight to behold! i get so much pleasure from fantasizing about food--and it doesn't cost me a thing, either. see what bolas started with his unbelievable grilled lamb-fest?! when it comes to lamb, i can't help myself--there's something so rustic and primitive about it--it brings out the glutton in me every time....
Old 07-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i already got mine--pic, that is, of the lamb dinner you are planning for tomorrow night. it's a sight to behold! i get so much pleasure from fantasizing about food--and it doesn't cost me a thing, either. see what bolas started with his unbelievable grilled lamb-fest?! when it comes to lamb, i can't help myself--there's something so rustic and primitive about it--it brings out the glutton in me every time....
Old 07-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
bolas, here i am at 6:00 in the morning, lusting over your pic'd lamb chops with a magnifying glass - they're done to perfection, bolas! am i only imagining the pink in the center? i could easily eat a whole hogget by myself, right here, right now!
Yes they were pink, we like them that way.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
in north wales, the sheep that kick hard have a big red x painted on their backs...

bolas, mein bruder, i love lamb neck.

i make a fronch style stew using lamb necks and the boney-er shoulder chops. great stuff. my parents love it and often mention that fact so that i'll make them a pot whenever we go to visit.
Tom mein mate, the nearer the bone the sweeter the meat
Old 07-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Yes they were pink, we like them that way.
Oh man, nice rare lamb has such a sweet, full flavored taste that is lost when overcooked. I like it almost raw. Cooked over an extremely high flame until the outside is slightly burnt and the center still slightly raw, but warm. OMG, I've got Niagara Falls in my mouth just thinking about it!

Tags
lamb