"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I've just found that there is a Cosco about 40 minutes from my house.

I'm single, have only a couple cats. Would Cosco still be a good deal for me, including the $50 a year membership fee?

I do use a large freezer and a large pantry, so buying some items in bulk with a substantial savings would benefit me. Is there much of a savings difference between the Walmart Super Store and Cosco?

Thanks!
With us it is just me, husband, and new doggie. When I lived in Florida, near my extended family, it was well worth the fees to do Sam's (Costco would be similar). I had several walk-in closets, a small chest freezer, and a 2 car garage (and only one car) and fed much of my family a lot of the time. But here the nearest Sams is about 25 miles away, and in the winter, that's a bear. My storage is limited. It just wouldn't be worth it for us. My little freezer (you know, the little one above your fridge) can't handle bulk, and buying huge jars of things that I have to open, then figure out how to store? Just wouldn't work here. So I really can't imagine it being worth it for a single person unless you entertain a lot or have a lot of family dropping in. Even with the storage you have, you have to consider shelf life and freezer burn.

On the other hand, if you're thinking of a major electronics or automotive purchase, may be well worth the bucks to join. We purchased our F-150 a dozen years ago through Sam's and were really happy with the discount. I don't know if Costco has a similar program (or for that matter, if Sam's still does).

Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
With us it is just me, husband, and new doggie. When I lived in Florida, near my extended family, it was well worth the fees to do Sam's (Costco would be similar)...
Thank you so much for all the information, Claire. I think I'll go ahead and get a membership for one year. I'll see during that first year of it's worth it to me to continue.

Thanks again!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #33
Head Chef

I'm not sure if this is still true, but Sam's Club used to give you a pass for one day so that you can get a "feel" for how it would work for you. It's worth a try.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I'm not sure if this is still true, but Sam's Club used to give you a pass for one day so that you can get a "feel" for how it would work for you. It's worth a try.
i remember hearing about that one day pass as well. also, a pass for one day as the guest of an existing member.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

i remember hearing about that one day pass as well. also, a pass for one day as the guest of an existing member.
We go to Costco in Chicago with my BIL, who has a membership. He pays for our stuff with his Costco CC, and we pay him back. He gets some sort of points as well.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I'm up in that area twice a month to go to my favorite restaurant anyway, and a $50 risk for an entire year of experiment is worth it to me, so the next time I'm up there eating, I'll stop by and join up.

The restaurant, btw, is "Wasabi" restaurant on 115 in Jacksonville, Florida. They have a buffet for $18 that is truly awesome. I would eat there 4 days a week if I could afford it. A sushi line with 8-10 types of nigiri, Big bowls of sashimi of tuna, salmon and escolar at the end of that line.

Then the rolls...OMG, about 20 types of rolls. Each with very balanced meat, not like the junk in grocery store sushi.

The rolls, nigiri and sashimi are all very good quality. Not high end $5 a bite stuff, but damn good for an "all you can eat" place.

They also have a hot food line with crab legs, shrimp and such. And soups, salads, oyster bar...kimche....and a generous grill selection for starters. I love this place!

The staff are all like family to me now. They are all like my children now! If you're ever in Jacksonville, Florida and love sushi, give this place a try.

In fact...it's been a couple weeks now....
Old 07-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #37
Master Chef

[QUOTE=Bolas De Fraile;1031090]We are surrounded by sheep farmers here so I get good deals for lambs or hoggets, spring lamb is always expensive so I wait for the september lambs.

Bolas, I live in lamb and dairy land, and dairy means veal. You'd think that would mean I'd be able to get lamb and veal in season in abundance, but the way our food industry works in this country, you'd be more likely to get our local lamb and veal from around here in Chicago, LA, or NYC than in our local grocery stores.

I agree about the older lamb. I did have an acquaintance who raised lambs for meat (I still know him, he just doesn't do it any more. The younger generation didn't want to take over the business, and it simply was too much work for too little profit). I asked him why lamb tastes too darned mild nowadays. He replied that they're faster to get younger lambs to market, that and diet. I said, "Do you mean I probably grew up eating mutton?" Well, maybe not that old, but yes. I miss that gaminess! I asked him about the lamb I buy in the local grocery store, and he replied that most of it comes from NZ -- right here, where they are raising them a stone's throw from the stores where I shop.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #38
Master Chef

Lamb blade chops (rubbed with EVOO & highly seasoned with my all purpose seasoning blend - garlic powder, onion powder, Goya adobo seasoning, accent, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, ground red pepper flakes, cayenne, Hungarian hot paprika, ground thyme and ground rosemary) then fried in cast iron pan till nicely browned. Add to pan 3 cloves fresh garlic grated, juice of 1 lemon, pinch dry rosemary, several drops of gravy master and enough water to just come to top of chops, and then simmer till tender (turning once), about 1 TBSP softened butter mashed with about 1 TBSP flour added to pan juices to make a gravy. The sides are egg noodles in a creamy garlic béchamel sauce with peas (grated fresh garlic sautéed in butter till fragrant then flour added and cooked for 1 minute, enough ½ & ½ added to make a nicely thickened sauce and a sprinkle of dry parsley then tossed with cooked egg noodles and frozen peas) & green bean salad (steamed fresh green beans tossed while hot in fresh lemon juice, EVOO, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns and grated fresh garlic).

Old 07-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Lamb blade chops (rubbed with EVOO & highly seasoned with my all purpose seasoning blend...

What a wonderful meal! Thanks for sharing it. That meal is near heaven for me.

Tags
lamb