Lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I like lamb as much but probably more than beef. The Supermarkets around here rarely sell it for less than 5.99lb for a semi boneless leg.
I am really looking for an alternative source since I don't think that price is good,just inflated since the supermarket sells less of it so they need to keep the price high.

Where do you find yours and what do you pay?

I used to be able to get lamb tenderloins pretty cheap from a reataurant supply house but they went under 10 years ago and lamb just doesn't seem to go on sale here.

Bony chops are still 5.99lb too

Loin chops are over 10 bucks a pound and overrated at that price!

I buy ground lamb once in a while and once, when the store was out (a major chain grocer), I asked what gives. I was told that the store cannot process lamb. It needs boughten the way they sell it, so they only buy a little at a time. Just sayin', I'm not sure how much the price is inflated or if it's because they are under certain restrictions when it comes to lamb... for some reason.

Yes, lamb is expensive. I find the best prices at Costco. They have racks, loin chops and boneless leg.

Buy cheaper cuts and cook them low and slow. Have you ever eaten Goat? The taste is similar to lamb and it's a lot cheaper.

I do love lamb meat. Veal too. I know that the meat is more expensive because the animal is butchered young, but the prices on both veal and lamb are outrageous! I hardly ever buy it as a result.

I've never even seen goat meat for sale. I'd love to try it. I've even thought about raising a couple goats for meat, but know so little about raising them, that I've not carried through on it.

I need some veteran goat raiser to fill me in on the details!

I do love lamb meat. Veal too. I know that the meat is more expensive because the animal is butchered young, but the prices on both veal and lamb are outrageous! I hardly ever buy it as a result.

I've never even seen goat meat for sale. I'd love to try it. I've even thought about raising a couple goats for meat, but know so little about raising them, that I've not carried through on it.

I need some veteran goat raiser to fill me in on the details!

You could raise a few but I would watch out, they eat everything! If you have some nice grass for them to eat they will be fine and make sure you have them fenced in when you don't want them eating everything they see!

Our local grocer often has lamb shoulder blade chops. They are fairly reasonably priced. I can usually pick two decent sized chops for under 4 dollars.

You could raise a few but I would watch out, they eat everything! If you have some nice grass for them to eat they will be fine and make sure you have them fenced in when you don't want them eating everything they see!

Does that mean I wouldn't have to mow the yard? Oh Boy!

I've heard one goat per/acre of grass will provide enough food. When is thier best age to butcher in regard to the best ratio of feed costs to meat gained?

Lamb shanks have traditionally been one of the more traditionally least expensive cuts. Mom used to slow roast them with garlic, and they were a favorite. But using an osso buco recipe for braising them (more traditionally done with veal shanks) works as well.

of course it depends on what is available at your store. Shoulder chops are cheaper and nice in a braise with carrots and potatoes. Lamb neck is quite cheap and is great for a stew with barley and veg, or a soup. Ground lamb for burgers gyro shepherds pie, meatballs etc. boneless legs open up and grill nicely. bbq lamb is awesome. In general lamb is more $$ than beef or pork. It is a more expensive animal to raise and not a big seller nationally. However, call around and find stores or butchers in your area. Cosco always has lamb at good prices..

I have tried using pork chops and marinating them in red wine,rosemary and garlic overnight and they made a descent substitute for my lamb chops but I have not tried goat as a sub yet.

I do like goat but the cuts I have access to would probably be better in a stew type dish. I have not tried goat leg but I bet it stronger tasting than lamb.

Cosco always has lamb at good prices..
I've just found that there is a Cosco about 40 minutes from my house.

I'm single, have only a couple cats. Would Cosco still be a good deal for me, including the $50 a year membership fee?

I do use a large freezer and a large pantry, so buying some items in bulk with a substantial savings would benefit me. Is there much of a savings difference between the Walmart Super Store and Cosco?

Thanks!

Timothy said:
I've just found that there is a Cosco about 40 minutes from my house.

I'm single, have only a couple cats. Would Cosco still be a good deal for me, including the $50 a year membership fee?

I do use a large freezer and a large pantry, so buying some items in bulk with a substantial savings would benefit me. Is there much of a savings difference between the Walmart Super Store and Cosco?

Thanks!

Oh man, I have Costco envy! They have great prices on electronics, tools, even coffins! Their wine selection is wonderful. Our nearest one is 3 hours away. Wallyworld just ain't the same.

I start to hyperventilate when I walk in. Huge jars of pickled artichokes. Take a cooler.

I don't but meats at costco because I get better deals at the supers when things are on sale.Costco meats are always the top price what the supers are. I do go there specificaly for their multi grain bread though. I think is far better than any other. I will buy seafood from time to time there if it is on ice and not cellophaned.
The quality of their Halibut is hard to come by.

If you are single find a freind and go with them to see if could work for you.I don't know if you need a card for Costco Online but you can most of the same stuff and whole more minus food online.

Last edited:

How much do your cats eat?
:LOL:

I have Sam's Club (a glorified Walmart), no Costco. While I did like walking in there, no, they were not worth the membership fee and drive to get there. You can only stock up on so much stuff... unless you've got a bunker in your basement ;)

I don't but meats at costco because I get better deals at the supers when things are on sale.Costco meats are always the top price what the supers are.

Thanks! I think I'll try it for one year and see how it goes. The Walmart Super Store is 25 minutes one way and the Cosco is 40 in the other direction, so the 15 minute difference is negligible.

Oh man, I have Costco envy! They have great prices on electronics, tools, even coffins! Their wine selection is wonderful. Our nearest one is 3 hours away. Wallyworld just ain't the same.

I start to hyperventilate when I walk in. Huge jars of pickled artichokes. Take a cooler.

Ha! Yer killin me! :ROFLMAO:

I'll get a membership and take an afternoon to visit and try Cosco's products. I always take a cooler to the long distance stores. I have one that is on wheels and has an expanding handle so I can roll it into the house.

Thanks folks! :chef:

i love lamb too, but buy it seldom.--same with veal chops. these meats are not as accessible as the usual supermarket fare. i have the time to shop leisurely and strategically, and do. i try to buy my lamb and veal when they are close-dated, and marked down. i keep an eye out for packages of veal and lamb as to date, and from there it's simply a matter of good timing. i do this also with mushrooms, cheeses, and specialty breads such as sourdough and olive bread. i try to be ready with extra money for an unexpected deal on, say, a marked down rack of lloyd's bar-b-cued spareribs.--there's almost always something....

Last edited:
I love a good deal on marked down meat. "Manager's Special" they call it around here. I've gotten some good ribeyes that way.

We are surrounded by sheep farmers here so I get good deals for lambs or hoggets, spring lamb is always expensive so I wait for the september lambs.They are bigger and for us have more flavor. I buy two which lasts us for the year.A whole Lamb head of non butchered cost about $100.
Does anyone cook the scrag end or neck it really is the sweetest meat on the lamb.
My last rack clic on pics to make them bigger garden & BBQ 054.jpg

garden & BBQ 057.jpg

Last edited:
We are surrounded by sheep farmers here so I get good deals for lambs or hoggets, spring lamb is always expensive so I wait for the september lambs.They are bigger and for us have more flavor. I buy two which lasts us for the year.A whole Lamb head of non butchered cost about $100.
Does anyone cook the scrag end or neck it really is the sweetest meat on the lamb.

Wow, must be nice! Great location for a lamb lover.

The meat in the pics looks absolutely delicious! Looks like it would melt on the tongue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom