Lamb and Onion Curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avlynn

Cook
This was so good i may need to make it again this week! I had to share it.

2 1/4 lbs. onion, chopped
1 1/2 in. piece ginger root, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic
1 T black peppercorns
2 T coriander seeds
1 T cumin seeds
1 tsp green cardamom pods
2 T oil
2 1/4 boneless lamb, cut into 1 1/2 cubes
2 tsp turmeric
3 dried red chilies
2 tsp salt
1 T vinegar of choice
1 cup water
1 tsp garam masala
1/3 cup coconut cream
2/3 cup heavy cream

Puree the onions, ginger, and garlic into a smooth paste in a food processor.
Heat a pan then add the peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and cardamom and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Turn out of the pan into a mortar.
Heat the oil in a pan, then add the lamb and cook until colored all over - does not need to be really brown. Add the onion puree and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Crush the spices with a pestle. then add them to the lamb with turmeric and dried chilies. Cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
stir in the salt, vinegar and water, then bring to a gentle boil. cover and simmer slowly for 1 hour.
Stir in the garam masala, coconut cream and cream, continue cooking uncovered for 30 min.

serves 6

Hope you like this!

Av

That looks really good. I took an Indan cooking class that has piqued my interest and abilities in doing this kind of recipe.
AND, try garam masala on just about ANYthing. Even before the class, my sister had sent me some with the advice to put on veggies, etc. I use it now just as an accent and it is a terrific spice. I rubbed some turkey legs with it and then braised them--delicious!!

I would love to take more cooking classes. I just don't have the time right now. :) I found this recipe in this strange little cookbook about onions. Who would have thought it would have such a great recipe. I will never again overlook ANY cookbook.

The Indian cooking class was an eye opener to me because I have always thought Indian cooking was/looked difficult--looking at the ingredient list. Once you realize that 75% of the list is spices, it gets EASY. I went to the store and made my Indian spice rack. Now it is just getting it all together.
AnD you just never know where the "good" recipe will be--that is why we are all always "on the hunt".

Tell me more about the garam masala. I just started making curry dishes since my child has gotten old enough not to freak out about spicy food and we love them, but I don't know about this spice.

I don't want to butt in, because it's not my post, but Garam Masala is a mixture of spices used in many Indian homes. I believe the (rough) translation is "Hot Spices" - although it has NO hot pepper in it, generally (in its simplest form) a mixture of black pepper, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon,cumin .There are thousands of other other local variations ( I've got a spectacular recipe for a Garam Masala with toasted coconut in it); for example, I sometimes use a Dhanajeera Masala which is heavy on cumin and coriander seed.Or you may find a Punjabi Garam Masala, etc.

Garam Masala is used to "finish off" the dish rather than flavour it from the beginning ( again, correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong); it adds a million levels of flavour to the food.

Curry powder is not a "true" Indian spice mixture, where Garam Masala IS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom