Lamb bones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nrkelly

Assistant Cook
I got a ton of them at the store today and they have lots and lots of meat on them. Any ideas on how to use them?? Thank you! :)

If it was winter, I'd use some of them to make a real Scotch Broth soup. Otherwise, I'd just roast them really well and make some stock from the bones.

Am with jp, if there is a whole lot of meat, BBQ the suckers.

Lamb bones with a bit of meat can be used to make a lovely stock, as Ishbel said.

Rosemary or thyme usually goes well with lamb.

how was the stew kell? the recipe looks pretty good. interesting that it's marinated in white wine, then cooked with red.

if you still have or get some more meaty lamb bones, try a recipe for french lamb stew called daube provencal. i posted a recipe for it a long time ago, using red wine. i've since made it with white a few times, and prefer the latter. here's a link to my original post, with the recipe and both mine and chez suz's tweaks: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/for-chez-suz-daube-provencal-5351.html?highlight=daube+provencal

oh, that looks good!!! I will try that next time.

It was really really good. the white wine definitely took away the gamey taste that lamb tends to have. Then you drain, pat dry and proceed with the recipe.

My husband offered to fight me for the leftovers, lol.

Ishbel said:
If it was winter, I'd use some of them to make a real Scotch Broth soup. Otherwise, I'd just roast them really well and make some stock from the bones.

Yes, the same way that beef bones are roasted in the oven, then dumped into a large stock pot, cold water and some aeromatic veggies and an herb boquet (boquet garne`) added.

Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat as low as possible to simmer. Simmer for several hours or overnight.:chef:

I make beef stock any toime of the year, but yes, winter IS a good time to do it. Soup helps warm the body in the winter.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Your lamb shouldn't taste gamey. I don't particularly like game, and have never tasted that in lamb, hogget, or even mutton.

Ishbel said:

Scotch Broth is lovely! Pearl barley thickens the soup, not excessively so, and adds a little "oomph".

Fraidy

Back
Top Bottom