Lamb Curry - Easy and delicious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I've been making this lamb curry off and on for over 30 years. I find most other lamb curry recipes a bit much for required ingredients or too much trouble to make. Most everything here is on everyones spice rack.

The hardest part is getting the lamb. One major chain store here actually has lamb for stew in packs! I bought 10 paks and froze/vacume sealed them. Try and get domestic lamb, it's not as gamey as New Zealand lamb.

2-2.5 lbs. fat trimmed lamb in 3/4" cubes. (be prepared to spend 45 min.)
4 small onions (or two big ones) chopped.
2 TBS. butter.
1 clove garlic crushed.
2 bay leaves crushed.
1 TBLS salt.
A little thyme.
2-2.5 TBLS curry powder. I use 3.5 TBLS for more curry flavor.
2 green apples chopped. Don't chop untill ready to add.
Corn starch or thicking powder.
5 qt. stew/soup pan. At least 9" wide and 5" deep. Metal.

Lightly saute the onions in butter. Add in the lamb along with the spices.
Add 3-1/3 cups water or broth. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer low 1.5
hours or untill lamb is tender. Remove the meat to a seperate dish.
To the sauce, add 2 green apples chopped, fairly good size pieces.
Bring to boil then add 2 TBLS corn starch mixed with a little "cold" water to thicken. Final season to taste. Remove from heat and return lamb to the sauce. Serve over rice.

Condiments are very much a part of this recipe: Sprinkle chopped egg whites, egg yokes, crushed peanuts, crushed or chunk pineapple , raisins,
real bacon bits, chopped green onions. Spoon some Mango chutney on plate. I still prefer Sharwoods Major Grey, tho they've changed their recipe.

Serves 4-6 ppl. I portion out servings into Ziplock's new 3 cup plastic tubs, then freeze.

Note: I'm going to try this next time. Adding 1/3-1/2 of the required curry powder to the cooking onions. I heard the heat wakes up the flavor of the curry powder.

Last edited:
New Zealand lamb is gamey!?

I don't doubt you when you say there's a difference (having never tried American lamb, how can I?) but do you know why there is a difference in the taste?

It's getting harder to find domestic raised lamb here in the states. All 3 major supermarket chain stores in my area sell New Zealand lamb as of the last 5-7 years. I've twice paid $12 to $14 for New Zealand lamb (wrapped in plastic).

It definately has a gamier flavor to my pallette, and , looking around the internet, to others as well. I definately will always be buying American lamb.
I could taste the difference, even with the curry powder and spices.

I did more research and found out that American lamb is fed a grain based diet, while New Zealand lamb is fed a grass based diet. Most say that is why.

The plus side for New Zealand lamb, is, that it tends to be more tender.

I've also found American lamb to be a bit less fatty, tho a bit more chewy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom