Lamb cuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm. I would run away in panic, but that's not helpful. Maybe boil it to make Scotch broth? I remember when Campbell's had Scotch broth, it was one of my faves, but we no longer get it here. Lots of barley and veggies.

Last edited:
Hmm. I would run away in panic, but that's not helpful. Maybe boil it to make Scotch broth? I remember when Campbell's had Scotch broth, it was one of my faves, but we no longer get it here. Lots of barley and veggies.
I usually make Scotch broth using the bones...not the head. I'm thinking of burying in the field...:LOL:

My great grandma used to boil a whole pig's head, and make headcheese. Not that I would ever eat it. Maybe you could make lambcheese. Or bury it in the field. That sounds good.

Tongue's not the problem--what do I do with the head (other than park it in my downstairs fridge in the meantime?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't understand that was the problem.

To remove the tongue:
The Nasty Bits: Lamb's Tongue | Serious Eats : Recipes

As for the rest of the head, you can always roast it. I'm not going to post a video because it might be a little grisly for some. But if you search on YouTube for "Roasted Lamb's Head," there are a few recipes.

Do you provide a translation to English?
I'm sorry about that. I wasn't thinking. I used Google translate and fixed up the worst of it. Let me know if any of it doesn't make sense. I see from this that it doesn't actually usually use a head.

Brawn is a traditional variant of the cold cut, which is common on the Swedish Christmas table . Brawn is cooked mainly of pork belly, veal, onion, gelatin and spices , but there are many local variations on the recipe.

The cooking (simple description)

Start to cook the meat in a pan with water, spices and onion until meat is tender, and then allow it to cool. Remove the rind from the bacon and cut the flesh into cubes. Take a towel and soak it in warm water and squeeze. Spread the towel in a round-bottomed bowl . Cover the bottom and sides of the bowl with the rind, with shiny exterior rind down against the towel. Layer the different, kinds of meat with pieces of fat, gelatin and spices. Pull the liner to a hard bundle and tie it with a string of cotton or other heat-resistant natural materials. Boil bundle over low heat for about 20 minutes, preferably in the same broth as before. Pick up the bundle and then allow it to be in the press at least ten hours in refrigerator . Brawn usually served fridge-cold, cut into thin slices, preferably with boiled potatoes and mustard.

I still think burying it in the field works. Maybe use the cheeks and braise them. And string the teeth for a necklace.

This thread got me to thinking lamb. So when I was shopping, I came across a package of lambs meat in large chunks. Lamb Stew with Barley. Or Scotch Broth. Now for a nice cold day to come along so I can make it. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom