"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 06-22-2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
Thanks for bringing this up, Yakuta. I just found out (discovered) from my husband that Shwarma means "to turn" in Arabic. He says it comes from the turkish "cevirmek". They are all related to this turning on the spit of the meat. Gyros... Döner... Swarma... all about the act of turning the meat. Interesting.
Yes! Gyro refers to a spit that turns vertically with the heat sources off to the sides.

Quote:
Oh, I wanted to say something about the sauerkraut... although I've never seen it in Germany, it could be a local recipe in a smaller town. Sauerkraut in Germany DOES NOT taste like the sauerkraut in the US. It may sound disgusting, but you might be thinking of the sauerkraut you get in a jar in the US. That is nothing like what you get in Germany. REAL sauerkraut would probably taste pretty good with gyros
I'm curious about the sauerkraut thing. Most Americans think of it as a sort of pickled cabbage. As sauerkraut comes from Germany (as far as I know, though this may be my American ignorance showing yet again) I guess you'd be the one to ask.

I'm aware the stuff you get in a jar is not a good representation of even "American" sauerkraut; it's mushy, for one, but you said "taste." How does the taste differ?

Kelly

Old 06-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

it's NOT sauerkraut. Most of the doner places serve a little salad w/ it that's more like a mayonnaise-less coleslaw. It's raw white cabbage w/ a tart vinegary dressing on it. VERY good.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly
it's NOT sauerkraut. Most of the doner places serve a little salad w/ it that's more like a mayonnaise-less coleslaw. It's raw white cabbage w/ a tart vinegary dressing on it. VERY good.
Are you responding to my post?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

yes. I forgot to quote. sorry about that.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Hey Kelly... um, I think Kelly is saying that the salad served with Döner in Germany is not sauerkraut. I've never eaten Döner with this salad on the side or on the sandwich, so I'm not sure what it is.

But to answer your question about sauerkraut in Germany... it is NOT really sour. It is very mildly flavored. You taste the cabbage, not the vinegar. I guess I can compare it to real Italian dishes where the pasta is DRESSED, not DROWNED like in the US... sauerkraut is dressed cabbage, not this mushy swimming ick you get in the US. Does that make sense? I don't know if I can explain it because you just have to taste it. It's fresh and refreshing. Maybe Cara can explain, if she's around. She's German, though, so she may have not had to suffer the ill effects of American sauerkraut.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...You taste the cabbage, not the vinegar...

Vinegar? What vinegar?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Vinegar? What vinegar?
What do you mean "what vinegar"? Are you being cheeky?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
What do you mean "what vinegar"? Are you being cheeky?
I'm not trying to be cheeky.

As far as I know, sauerkraut isn't made with vinegar so that's why I was asking.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:44 AM   #29
Master Chef

Sauerkraut is not made with vinegar, it is made with Lactobacillus... that brings the sour taste....

as far as I know, Gyros is the greek version made with pork meat and doener is turkish made with lamb or chicken... but I think that came because of BSE, when people didn't want to eat beef or something like that...

and for the best kebap-Discussion:
the Dönerbutze here in Hannover at the Hildesheimer Strasse has the best in the world.. ;o)
you get it with white and red Krautsalat (kind of coleslaw, but tastes different - as far as I remember), mixed salad, hot sauce, Zaziki etc...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I'm not trying to be cheeky.

As far as I know, sauerkraut isn't made with vinegar so that's why I was asking.
I'm pretty sure here, it's prepared with some sort of acid... vinegar, wine, I think even lemon juice for some recipes, probably. I don't make it because you can buy such good sauerkraut.

Is it not made with vinegar in the US? I don't remember. Maybe that is one of the differences that makes it taste better to me here. But the acid is very subtle. And of course there are lots of different ways to make it. Now you have my curiosity up. I'm going to have to go google for some recipes.

ETA: "prepared" instead of "made" because "make" implies the method of pickling. :)

Tags
None