"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 06-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
You seem to have some strange eating places where you live, Shamalicious.... Get yourself over to Edinburgh, the doners are good in most of the takeaways, with the same method of the oil dripping out of the meat stack before they cut off thin slices which is served with fresh salad in a pitta bread pocket.

Mind you, we do get offered curry sauce or sweetnsour on a fish supper!
Really lol. I live in dundee, not far from you . I never meant donner around the areas i eat, i meant donner here in general, they contain 70% fat. , tell me, your donner doesnt contain 70% fat? Cos if it doesnt, ill come to edinburgh especially for the donner lol.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly
no offense shamalicious, but are you sure it's a donner (or gyro) you're talking about? With a mixture of lamb, beef, and spices wrapped in a pita from either a Turkish, Greek, or Mid-Eastern place? It looks like this:

Yupp. Exactly wot im talking about lol. Theyre also in indian places

Old 06-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMALICIOUS
Yupp. Exactly wot im talking about lol. Theyre also in indian places
wow. how different. well get on over to Edinburgh then! have a "less" fat donner!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #44
Senior Cook

Oh yeah. I think almost every indian takeaway serves donner here lol. And theyre all no good for you lol. Im seriously surprised that donner there isnt 70%fat, i thought it would be like that everywhere
Old 06-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Nope - there's NO WAY I'd contemplate eating anything as fatty as that.... And I don't eat them in Indian or Pakistani takeaways, they are sold by Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot Edinburgh folk.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
sigh... Now I'm hungry!!
We need to start planning the next trip to Greece!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #47
Senior Cook

I was talking to a friend on another site about gyros and souvlaki. Since I used to work in Greece a lot, I was quite used to GOOD food.

Boy, sometimes the stuff I've had in North America was right up there with cardboard. Mind you, other times I've had some really fantastic stuff.

There's a food festival I used to frequent when I worked in Canada called Taste of Danforth (that's a street in Toronto). They'd close of the street to through traffic and all the restaurants would set up stalls and kiosks out front. I think I shocked some poor Greek lady when I asked in Greek, if I could get two spanakopitas and a beer. I paid her, thanked her, again in Greek, and left.

She was happy, I was happy and the friend I had taken with me was aghast. LOL.

About that trip to Greece? How's Glyfada sound?

Ciao,
Old 06-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A
I was talking to a friend on another site about gyros and souvlaki. Since I used to work in Greece a lot, I was quite used to GOOD food.

Boy, sometimes the stuff I've had in North America was right up there with cardboard. Mind you, other times I've had some really fantastic stuff.

There's a food festival I used to frequent when I worked in Canada called Taste of Danforth (that's a street in Toronto). They'd close of the street to through traffic and all the restaurants would set up stalls and kiosks out front. I think I shocked some poor Greek lady when I asked in Greek, if I could get two spanakopitas and a beer. I paid her, thanked her, again in Greek, and left.

She was happy, I was happy and the friend I had taken with me was aghast. LOL.

About that trip to Greece? How's Glyfada sound?

Ciao,

Can you be packed and ready to go tomorrow?
smiles, T
Old 06-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Ya'sou T,

You mean I have to wait THAT long??

Ciao,
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 AM   #50
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMALICIOUS
Oh yeah. I think almost every indian takeaway serves donner here lol. And theyre all no good for you lol. Im seriously surprised that donner there isnt 70%fat, i thought it would be like that everywhere
Shamalicious, I think you must have an Indian population with a Turkish identity crisis. Döner is not Indian, so if you're getting this from Indian take away, I'd just suggest to you to try it from an authentic Turkish (or Greek gyros) place. This sweet/sour sauce you're talking about isn't authentic and I'd wonder why an Indian restaurant is selling döner. Especially since Indian food is so delicious. I just cannot fathom Indian restaurants serving Turkish food.

About the fat content... at 70% fat, the meat wouldn't stay together on the spit because as the meat cooks, the fat melts and bastes the meat. It would fall apart as the fat melts. It's certainly not a very lean meat mixture that they use, but it's not 70% fat. I would guess it's a 70% meat to 30% fat ratio. You could probably ask for them to shave the meat from the top and not use the fat-basted meat at the bottom, to reduce the fat content.

Tags
None