Lamb ribs, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fr00t

Assistant Cook
So I love lamb, but I'm on a budget. I was at the grocery store the other day and I found what was labeled as "lamb breast rib" priced at like $1.50 a pound, which seems incredibly cheap for lamb. So I thought, hey, it's worth a try at this price.

The thing is, it's probably 60-70% fat. I think lamb fat is good, but not that good, and I'm not sure how to approach this piece of meat.

Any suggestions on how I should cook it?

Line a baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil, and preheat the oven to 350ºF.

Trim off a little of the fat (about a tablespoon) and add to a saucepan - let it heat over medium heat until rendered - add a tablespoon of butter - and add in a handfull of chopped onion and saute ... then toss in a package of Mahatma saffron yellow rice and saute it for a 2-3 minutes - then add the water and finish according to the package instructions.

Rub the ribs with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic and crumbled (dried) rosemary. Roast for about 20 minutes.

Serve the rice and ribs with wheat pita and baba ganoush (or hummus).

FWIW: the lamb breast ribs may have a visable layer of fat - but I've never experienced any that were 60-70 percent fat. One thing I do like to do is save the drippings in a little plastic container in the freezer to use with ground beef to make Moussaka - the lamb drippings make the beef taste like lamb.

Last edited:
I wish I could find lamb ribs at the grocery store. I have never prepared them myself, but a friend invited me to dinner a number of years ago, and they were on her menu. I loved them!!

Assuming lamb ribs are prepared in the same way here as in the US, I just baste mine with olive oil, honey, soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger and some spring onions if I have them, and bake in the oven really slowly, basting fairly often. I just keep cooking until they are nice and sticky. Just don't put too much liquid in the roasting tray or they won't brown nicely.

I serve them with some salad and if I am in the mood, some roast potatoes, otherwise fresh bread is lovely.

<snip>
FWIW: the lamb breast ribs may have a visable layer of fat - but I've never experienced any that were 60-70 percent fat. One thing I do like to do is save the drippings in a little plastic container in the freezer to use with ground beef to make Moussaka - the lamb drippings make the beef taste like lamb.
Boy do I like the "lamb drippings" suggestion. Here in Panama lamb is rarely found. My years in Australia have made me become a big lover of lamb. So if I can "trick" my taste buds will I ever be happy. Thanks Michael.

Back
Top Bottom