"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Lamb stew

I was wondering if i could use a small leg of lamb as opposed to neck of lamb or mutton. Equally it says use stock would this be lamb stock or veg stock

Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Cook

i have found neck fillets are they tasty or a bit fatty

Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Most of the recipes I have seen use chicken stock or a mixture of chicken and beef stocks, rather than lamb stock. Don't think I've ever seen a recipe that called for lamb stock actually now I think of it.

If you are stewing, you are after a piece of meat that will take a long slow cook, not the best for a good cut of lamb like a leg. A mutton or hoggett leg would be better. Off cuts are ideal.

If you really want to use the leg of lamb though, I wouldn't stew it too long or it might toughen. Better to talk to your butcher about getting some diced lamb chunks instead. He can then prep the offcuts for you.

You could also roast the lamb and then use the cooked leftovers in the stew. It might change the flavour of the stew somewhat, but should still be tasty.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
and remember, like most stews they`re always better Next day, and that buys you time to let it cool and remove the excess fat that solidifies at the top ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Cook

unfortunately i have to cook and eat same day. Are neck fillets ok.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
well, as a General rule meat that is closest to Bone tastes the best, I have use the neck before and it was just fine, ribs are good too.

as for fat yeah, you`ll get some sure, but much of the flave is in there also!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Had a quick look at a couple of recipes and no two have used the same piece of lamb - neck, end of the leg, chump chops, lamb sausages, take your pick of the cuts that you can afford. I would still just buy the lamb pre-diced, saves messing about especially if you are short of time.

Try this link. It lists recipes by cut, and by cooking method.

Australian Lamb | Recipes - Shepard's Stew with Lamb Shoulder Chops
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Senior Cook

diced or neck fillet ?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
Executive Chef

As you don't seem to care for the neck, pick another cut. If you find it fatty, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks about the best cut. You have to eat it. I have never used the neck so I don't know. To get a neck, I would have to buy a bag of offcuts or a quarter or half a lamb. My freezer isn't that big!!!LOL

I would always buy it pre-diced or dice it myself from chops or steaks, depending on what was the most economical way to do it, allowing for the quantity being made. Over here, the diced meat isn't that expensive as they use up all the bits of meat (not fat or gristle) from the trimmings. A leg is certainly cheaper by the kilo but there is an awful lot of meat there for just a stew.

Good luck whichever way you decide.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Nick, just think about the basis of a stew, a hearty meal that uses up meat and veges. There are so many variations to the dish that it is really hard to go wrong in your choices. Problems - cooking the meat incorrectly and seasoning it incorrectly or heavily. (Other than of course just burning it or similar!) Something like a stew is where you can be creative and chop and change ingredients to suit your tastes, your budget, what you have on hand, what's in season, who you are cooking for, etc. Every variation takes the dish to a new place but providing you are still basically cooking it the same, it will still be a stew.

Just thinking about that, I don't think any of our family even uses stock to make it. Just water and lots of seasonings and veges. Still very tasty.

Tags
None