Lamb stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
I was wondering if i could use a small leg of lamb as opposed to neck of lamb or mutton. Equally it says use stock would this be lamb stock or veg stock

Most of the recipes I have seen use chicken stock or a mixture of chicken and beef stocks, rather than lamb stock. Don't think I've ever seen a recipe that called for lamb stock actually now I think of it.

If you are stewing, you are after a piece of meat that will take a long slow cook, not the best for a good cut of lamb like a leg. A mutton or hoggett leg would be better. Off cuts are ideal.

If you really want to use the leg of lamb though, I wouldn't stew it too long or it might toughen. Better to talk to your butcher about getting some diced lamb chunks instead. He can then prep the offcuts for you.

You could also roast the lamb and then use the cooked leftovers in the stew. It might change the flavour of the stew somewhat, but should still be tasty.

and remember, like most stews they`re always better Next day, and that buys you time to let it cool and remove the excess fat that solidifies at the top ;)

well, as a General rule meat that is closest to Bone tastes the best, I have use the neck before and it was just fine, ribs are good too.

as for fat yeah, you`ll get some sure, but much of the flave is in there also!

Had a quick look at a couple of recipes and no two have used the same piece of lamb - neck, end of the leg, chump chops, lamb sausages, take your pick of the cuts that you can afford. I would still just buy the lamb pre-diced, saves messing about especially if you are short of time.

Try this link. It lists recipes by cut, and by cooking method.

Australian Lamb | Recipes - Shepard's Stew with Lamb Shoulder Chops

As you don't seem to care for the neck, pick another cut. If you find it fatty, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks about the best cut. You have to eat it. I have never used the neck so I don't know. To get a neck, I would have to buy a bag of offcuts or a quarter or half a lamb. My freezer isn't that big!!!LOL

I would always buy it pre-diced or dice it myself from chops or steaks, depending on what was the most economical way to do it, allowing for the quantity being made. Over here, the diced meat isn't that expensive as they use up all the bits of meat (not fat or gristle) from the trimmings. A leg is certainly cheaper by the kilo but there is an awful lot of meat there for just a stew.

Good luck whichever way you decide.

Nick, just think about the basis of a stew, a hearty meal that uses up meat and veges. There are so many variations to the dish that it is really hard to go wrong in your choices. Problems - cooking the meat incorrectly and seasoning it incorrectly or heavily. (Other than of course just burning it or similar!) Something like a stew is where you can be creative and chop and change ingredients to suit your tastes, your budget, what you have on hand, what's in season, who you are cooking for, etc. Every variation takes the dish to a new place but providing you are still basically cooking it the same, it will still be a stew.

Just thinking about that, I don't think any of our family even uses stock to make it. Just water and lots of seasonings and veges. Still very tasty.

Hi Nick, looks like Bilby already responded by I also wanted to add my 2 cents. I make lamb stew frequently actually make that goat stew since I am Indian and goat is big in our diet.

I almost always use shanks and leg because I don't like any other cuts of meat in a goat or lamb.

I make my stew using the recipe below and it turns out great. Not that you need a recipe but I thought I'd share anyway and since I use leg and you have a leg that you want to use it may work:

Goat leg or Lamb leg cut into cubes (I get it precut from the butcher)
1 large onion thinly sliced
3 large tomatoes super finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/4 stick of ginger finely chopped
Spices - I like cumin, corrainder, cinnamon, black pepper and chili powder - I make mine fresh (toast and grind) for that added pizzaz
2 tbsp of white vinegar
1 tbps of mustard (I like the grainy kind)
2 tbsp of brown sugar

Whole baby potatoes, washed and reserved and Pearl onions (peeled) and reserved

Cilantro for garnish. Salt to taste and 2 tbsp of oil and some water

In a pan add the oil and when it's hot add the chopped onions and cook until almost golden. Add the garlic, ginger and spices and toast them a bit. Next add the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard and stir to combine. Add a couple of cups of water and meat and let it cook covered for an hour. After an hour throw in the baby potatoes and pearl onions and cook on low for another 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

Garnish with cilantro and serve anyway you like. The sauce should thicken and almost trun into a nice gravy. It will be fragrant from the spices and will have a slightly sweet and sour taste to it.

Yes Charlie as from India (not living there but was born there) and hence the ginger, garlic and spice addition to the stew :).

bilby sorry about the rugby but you win enough times at cricket.

I have been able to track down neck fillets and shoulder chops for my irish lamb stew.

Which one shall i go for

Okay, who are you serving it to - just you and your immediate family or entertaining? If the first, shoulder chops as you don't care for the fattiness of the neck. If you are out to impress people, go for the richer flavour of the neck, or even a combo of both.

Hey I'm on the West Coast. Rugby barely makes a ripple here. We are still talking about Aussie Rules over here due to the activities of one of our players, Ben Cousins of the West Coast Eagles. He is drowning out the cricket too. Mind you, Qld couldn't even rustle up a crowd for the Oz/Sri Lanka game! Think we only truly care about it when we are playing England!

Well i dont mind it . I think OZ care more about beating us than other way round . For some reason we are hated in the field of rugger . Just ask , wales and scotland . I think northern ireland in some loyalist parts of belfast are the only people outside england supporting us.

Back
Top Bottom