"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 09-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I enjoy cooking a butterflied leg on the grill because it doesn't take nearly so long. I don't marinate it, but put a "poultice" of good Dijon mustard on the cut side, then a mixture of chopped garlic and Provencal herbs (sea salt and fg blackpepper are in the mix, too). I let that rest in the fridge for a couple of hours, then bring the meat to room temp before grilling for 45 minutes over rosy red coals to an internal temperature of 130 degrees (Residual heat will cook it the rest of the way.)

I've never had any leftovers...... and it is SO easy to do.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Yup, i grilled it tonight...Here is what i did with the leg of lamb.

First i cut all the meat off the bone. I have seperated the different locations of the leg for Lamburgers (which i read somewhere here), for shish kebabs and for my grilling today on the charcoal grill i bought yesterday.

I marinated them last night, with balsamic vinegar, garlic, yogurt, basil, black pepper, paprika, and olive oil....I couldn't use lemon which is what i wanted to do because the stores were closed...

Anyhow, today i grilled them and i have to say, probably the best lamb i ate!!! Came out EXCELLENT and all the people that ate were REALLY happy. I also like my lamb well done as everyone who ate it also.

So my first try of the leg of lamb grilling has been a 100% success!!!

Also another thing i tried was to grill some tomatos and green peppers next to it, which came out excellent too. When i was in Turkey we used to grill a lot of vegies next to meat and i think they compliment each other greatly. Next to it we had some bread and for drinks some hard liquir Raki from Turkey. After the meal we had watermelon that was very sweet finish to the meal.

This was also my first attempt to cook on charchoal, so i have to say its been excellent. I've been grilling on propane for long time and now its been a good change.

I am highly considering getting another lamb and try the lemon taste and see how that goes!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

grilled lamb is great. a traditional Greek marinade for the meat is sliced onions sauteed in olive oil, fresh or dried rosemary (crushed a bit) fresh lemmon juice, crushed and chopped garlic. saute for several minutes. let cool and rub the lamb with it and let it all marinate overnight. when you'r eready to grill, let it hang on the meat if it is (onions etc.) and baste with it.

very delicious

serve with tzadikhi (traditional yoghurt sauce.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:52 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

salt and pepper will normally do, but you can also rub it with minced garlic and leave it overnight.

charcoal grill taste better imo
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #15
Head Chef

I also use a butterflied leg of lamb on the grill. I can't find my recipe, but it is from Wolfgang Puck and is a hit whenever I serve it. It uses a rub of garlic and other seasonings and is browned well over high heat and then cooked over indirect heat until of desired doneness. I love it. When I can find it, I'll send it along.

Lyndalou
Old 09-21-2006, 06:26 AM   #16
Head Chef

Found Wolfgang's recipe of Foodtv.com.Give it a try sometime.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Herbes de Provence are a great herb rub for lamb, IMO.

Can't help with the marinade though.

Tags
None