"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Milk Fed Baby Lamb: Agnello Arrosto

Happy Holidays and Buongiorno,

Sheepherding is quintessential in Abruzzi e Molise, Italy. In the Gran Sasso Mountain Range, the secret to the divine roast lamb is, to rub herbs and Evoo on the lamb, 12 hours before roasting. This region of Italy, is an agricultural wonder.

Here is our Easter Roast Lamb Recipe:

One 5 to 7 pound boned and trimmed baby lamb
7 tblps evoo
1/2 cup of chopped herbs; oregano, savory, thyme, flat leaf parsley, mint, rosemary ... )

1. place the lamb bone side up on baking tray
2. rub 2 tblsps of evoo and 1/4 cup herbs on the lamb well, and marinate for 12 hrs. in covered deep glass dish
3. The next morning: preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit
4. whisk 1/4 cup herbs and 1 tblsp Evoo and 1 shot glass of white wine and pour over lamb in roasting pan you are using
5. let sit 10 mins. before entering oven
6. roast the lamb until therometer reads 135 degrees for Medium Rare
7. baste with some more white wine and the pan juices
8. transfer lamb and pan juices to a platter and let stand 15 mins. before carving / slicing.
9. slice lamb on diagonal and drizzle lemon zest, fresh lemon juice and evoo lightly on lamb slices

*** serve with mint coulis or mint jelly and a red wine: Bordeaux 2003 or a Barolo or 100% Tempranillo from Valladolid or Zamora, Spain ...

Happy Easter.
Margi.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Do you think the pairing of lamb and mint was popularized during the era of 'Sali E Tabacchi'?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Bill,

ha ha ha ... Mint is one of the oldest Mediterranean Herbs ... As far as tobacco goes, I cannot say which is older ! ( tabacchi = tobacco )

Lamb is a very very rich meat, and thus, mint refreshes and cleanses palate ... however, if you prefer; a chuntney could be very lovely too ... Depends, on the individual palate ... Si ?

Happy Easter,
Margi.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I use Chianti to cleans my palate...
Old 04-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Rock Lobster, Good Afternoon,

Is Chianti your fave Italian red wine ?

I prefer reds from Piamonte and Lombardia or Sangiovese grape wines ... Barolo is a nice dinner wine as well ...

Margi.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

mint is one of the oldest harvested herbs because the damn things are so invasive that i don't doubt farmers have been trying to get rid of it somehow for millenia!

lol, "milk fed baby lamb" reminds me of a joke i told my boy. i told him if you get peanut oil from crushing peanuts, and olive oil from squeezing olives, where does baby oil come from?

the stunned look on his face was great...

margi, your lamb recipe is almost identical to my macedonian neighbor's recipe. they celebrate eastern orthodox easter, aka greekster , so i look forward to sampling all of their delicious food 2 weeks after ours. yum. they always have herbed lamb, too.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I've enjoyed a few Montepulciano wines. Are loose wines (bring your own fiasco), for everday consumption, still relatively common in Italy?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Buckytom.

It is very common in lamb culture provinces or countries ... To marinate the lamb prior to roasting ... a medium rare interior and crispy herby crusty exterior ! Have a good red wine and enjoy. Macdonia is close to Croatia and Greece ...

Happy Holidays.
Margi.

Happy Holidays,
Old 04-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef

@ Bill,

We have our condo on the Adriatic on the southeast coast in Gargano Peninsula ... not in Tuscany --- so we do not go to Tuscany that often ... Tuscany is the designation of red wine that you are speaking of ...

Apulian wines were cultivated by the Greeks a millennium ago ... there is a huge re-viticulture movement and lots of indigenious red grapes in Apulia ... this is all in process now ...

I have been to Tuscany and the wines I had there were lovely ...

However, I prefer other designation of wines ... Piamonte, Lombardia, and I am quite an admirer of Spanish wines from Ribera del Duero also ...

Happy Holidays, it is time for the stroll about and sun coming out finally.

Margi.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Bill,

We have our condo on the Adriatic on the southeast coast in Gargano Peninsula ... not in Tuscany --- so we do not go to Tuscany that often ... Tuscany is the designation of red wine that you are speaking of ...

Apulian wines were cultivated by the Greeks a millennium ago ... there is a huge re-viticulture movement and lots of indigenious red grapes in Apulia ... this is all in process now ...

I have been to Tuscany and the wines I had there were lovely ...

However, I prefer other designation of wines ... Piamonte, Lombardia, and I am quite an admirer of Spanish wines from Ribera del Duero also ...

Happy Holidays, it is time for the stroll about and sun coming out finally.

Margi.
Three years of Castillian high school lessons and two years living in Italy have made me a linguistic basket case; but I have to blink when I see Piemonte called Piamonte. My mention of 'Sali E Tabacchi' was a reference to the past practice of taxing salt.
It is my understanding that Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is a red wine made from the Montepulciano grape in the Abruzzo region of eastern Italy and is different from the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano from Tuscany.

Tags
lamb, milk