"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 08-14-2005, 05:26 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Haggis
I can get mutton (occasionally) from my local, organic butcher. He farms the beasts (as we call livestock!) on his family farm.

I tend only to use it for either Scotch broth, or traditional Scotch pies, which are raised, water crust pies with a mutton filling, but nowadays you normally find that beef is substituted in the commercial variety!

Old 08-14-2005, 06:03 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Yeah here in Australia its pretty much just lamb lamb lamb. Poor blighters don't stand a chance of being reared past that stage...unless its female.

Might take a closer look round some of the Greek (or similar area) and speciality butchers, see if I can get my hands on some.

Old 08-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Sarah
Your comments about goat being called mutton on the Indian subcontinent intrigued me enough to do a quick google search on 'what is mutton'.... This is what came up

Definitions of mutton on the Web:
I think it is interesting that nowhere lists goatmeat as mutton. I wonder if it is a kind of throwback to the days of the British presence in India when the British (who rarely eat goat) might have substituted goat for mutton in dishes (mutton being more common than lamb in the UK back in those days as it was cheaper!)... thinking that they tasted similar and giving it the generic term 'mutton'?

Old 08-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR
Hi Sarah,

As far as I know, mutton only refers to lamb.

As for the cooking, I'd put slivers of garlic, cover it in olive oil, and put aromatic herbs on it.

I don't tend to roast things (except for beef, where close attention needs to be paid) scientifically. I'd put the thing on medium-high heat for about 2-2 1/2 hours.

I find there's not much meat on goat... Contrary to what you might think, the taste is not strong or gamey.

Best regards,
Alex R.
I have only heard adult sheep reffered to as mutton. But then again, I'm not in an area that eats much lamb or mutton, and goat in nearly unheard of, except by private individuals who may have a few.

I had the pleasure of eating an ornery angora goat that had to be put down, as it was terrorizing the owner. It had the texture and flavor of venison (deer meat), and I found it very tasty. That being said, all meat, whether beef, pork, mutton, goat, or even chicken and turkey, range in flavor depending on the primary feed. Corn-fed goose, for instance, tastes much like corn-fed beef. While a grouse feeding on pine and cedar will have an intense gamey flavor, almost too strong to eat. The same is true of vennison. Deer that have been eating from corn and hay fields will have more fat, and be less gamey than the same animal harvested from a cedar swamp. So, the meat may or may not be gamey, depending on what it's been eating.

As a side note, stay away from animals that have eaten lots of alfalfa. Those it is highly nutritious, and a favorite of grazing animals, it gives the meat, and in the case of dairy animals, the milk, a very unpleasant flavor. I had goat cheese from goats that had been fed alfalfa. I couldn't eat it. And that nasty flavor that comes with herbal vitamins, that's usually alfalfa, again high in nutritional value, lousy taste.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Since my Larousse Gastronomique pointed out that Australia actually does produce a lot of mutton due to it being quite a large export to the halal market. Might go hit up some of the middle eastern butchers round abouts where I live.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #16
Head Chef

Sarah, I did not see this in time but I still wanted to share this for next time.

Here is what I do:

Trim fat from the goat if there is excessive. Wash it and pat it dry with some paper napkins.

Now I rub the goat leg with freshly minced garlic and ginger and lemon juice.

Next I make a dry rub as follows:

6 arabol chillies (dry red chillies found in Indian and Mexican markets)
4 tbsp of cumin seeds
4 tbsp of corrainder seeds

I roast the spices and then grind them in a coffee grinder and rub it all over the leg.

In the morning I place it in a disposable roasting pan, cover it with foil and roast it in a preheated oven (350) for approximately an hour an a half. During this time the goat will release a lot of water.

While the roast is cooking I make a sauce to pour over the goat leg to make it even more juicy.

In a saute pan I add 1/4 cup of oil and saute three onions (finely sliced) until they are golden brown and crisp. I add two cups of creamy yogurt ( I prefer the middleeastern ones) to the crisp onions add 1 tbsp of freshly ground garam masala (I make mine with cinnamon stick, black and white cardamom, cloves, black jeera, whole pepper corn and bay leaves). Take it off the stove and stir in freshly chopped corrainder leaves and mint leaves (about 1/2 cup each).

Take the goat leg out of the oven, pour the sauce and stir it with the pan juices. Now let the roast cook for an hour uncovered (this will allow the liquids to evaporate a bit).

I garnish the goat leg with sliced boiled eggs, some more mint, cilantro and crisp fried potatoes. It goes very well with naan and a seasoned rice pilaf.

Tags
None