"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Master Chef

I don't eat pork, but have heard/seen similar review about pork nowadays too. I wonder if similar conditions, similar foods, similar everything in the way animals are treated affects the taste. The line of difference kind of gets erased or gets closer. I love lamb, but the only lamb I have been able to get is fresh, I go to farm and have to slaughter it myself, so that maybe different from the store bought stuff and I cannot compare. Also, sometimes I am lucky to get my hands on meat from Uruguay, and it tastes completely different than local meat. I bet my theory is correct.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
Master Chef

Heffey, what do you mean by "finish with grain"?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

What I mean in the case of lamb; In the US, Lamb is grass fed through through the first 8 months or so before they are sent to the grain lots. That is where they are, "finished" with a special formula consiting of mosty grain (corn). The grain puts weight on the animal quickly and purges the flavors that grass imparts. After a month or so in the feedlot, the lamb are graded and sold at auction.

There were some posts of getting lamb at local farms outside the USDA grading process that do not apply to the above. The farmers can raise them any way they want but it is illeagal to sell them.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Urugay is a perfect example of grass fed meats that put a different taste in the meat. The main reason corn is so highly used in the US is the govenment subsidises it.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffey de Chefey View Post
...The farmers can raise them any way they want but it is illeagal to sell them.

Please explain what is illegal or why it's illegal for a small farmer/rancher to raise lambs that are not fed grain and sell them to the public.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
Master Chef

It certainly is not illegal to sell home-raised lamb around here. Heck, our local farmers market opened this past Saturday & there were several local farmers with booths selling home-raised/grass-fed/free-range beef, pork, lamb, & poultry. And these same folks sell their products at many of the local gourmet markets year-round. Apart from having to meet health department requirements, I'm not aware of any legalities involving grading.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Im sorry for the inaccurate post. It is illeagal to resell meat you buy from farmers is what I wanted to express, like for a restaurant. There are some superclubs that have a cool loophole that allow them to serve wild game that farmers bring in.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
Master Chef

I'm still not so sure about that. We have a several gourmet markets here that sell locally raised meat products - by the exact same folks who sell at the farmers market. And these folks also supply a number of local restaurants as well. I doubt all of these people are breaking the law.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
What I mean in the case of lamb; In the US, Lamb is grass fed through through the first 8 months or so before they are sent to the grain lots. That is where they are, "finished" with a special formula consiting of mosty grain (corn). The grain puts weight on the animal quickly and purges the flavors that grass imparts. After a month or so in the feedlot, the lamb are graded and sold at auction.

There were some posts of getting lamb at local farms outside the USDA grading process that do not apply to the above. The farmers can raise them any way they want but it is illeagal to sell them.
It is not illegal to sell them. You can go to any of the Farmers Markets in US where fresh meat is sold and find grass fed lamb -- and pigs too for that matter, not to mention beef and bison. And these meats are inspected, as well. Not sure where you got your info.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Im sorry for the inaccurate post. It is illeagal to resell meat you buy from farmers is what I wanted to express, like for a restaurant. There are some superclubs that have a cool loophole that allow them to serve wild game that farmers bring in.
That's not true, either. Many restaurants purchase meat from artisan producers for the purpose of serving them in their restaurants. AND, many of those advertise on their menus exactly which farms these meats come from.

Tags
None