"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #71
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
(i would eat nz lamb sashimi if i could )
I am with you there! I would take lamb over beef almost any day.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Welsh Lamb is the best in the worldI prefer Hogget to Mutton. I like to buy my lamb whole in september not spring.
Scrag end stew is a favorite, shoulder/neck end fillet is so good as a kebab.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Lamb from the Charlevoix region of Quebec is also exceptional. Apperantly it is due to the grass they eat which is grows in soil fed by the brackish water which is in that area.

I've only had it once and it was one of my most memorable meals..
Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #74
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Not meaning whether you like it or not, just this question: Has anyone noticed that lamb is getting more bland tasting these days (this question mostly applies to U.S. readers, but maybe others are finding the same problem). Nowadays I would have no problem passing off lamb as beef, and it's been that way for years, and in many states. Right now lamb costs more than beef where I live, and we can mostly not tell the difference. I found, and paid premium price, for ground lamb and made a sort of Mediterranian meat ball with taboule, etc. But I could have used a medium grade ground beef and we wouldn't have noticed the difference. Is it that they're breeding them to taste more like beef?
The cattle, sheep and goats are very closely related. Hence, if the you do some selective breeding, you get very similar tasting meat. A milder lamb means it was more carefully treated and is a better product. I really don't think it is a problem, unless you like violently seasoned foods.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #75
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffey de Chefey View Post
The meat must be inspected by the USDA to be resold. This type of regulation is what keeps Mad Cow disease out of the country.
Untrue. Meat is almost never actually inspected anymore. What they inspect are the slaughterhouses. Meat sold for resale must be processed in a USDA inspected FACILITY, but the meat itself is only ever spot-checked, so the vast majority of it goes right through to the consumer.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #76
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeheran View Post
The cattle, sheep and goats are very closely related. Hence, if the you do some selective breeding, you get very similar tasting meat. A milder lamb means it was more carefully treated and is a better product. I really don't think it is a problem, unless you like violently seasoned foods.
Since KB resurrected this thread, I thought I'd address this post.

pmeheran, I don't understand it at all.

I assume you are NOT suggesting there is interbreeding among cattle, sheep and lambs that homogenizes the flavors.

Lamb meat has a stronger flavor when it's fed grass. If it's switched to grain, the flavor becomes milder because animals taste like what they eat.

What is a violently seasoned food?

Tags
None