"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb
Old 03-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
An entirely different idea is quartered roasted new potatoes. And then some asparagus for your veggie. The pilaf would be better than risotto for this--risotto is often more of a stand alone dish.

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I'm new to this forum, but I registered just to see if anyone had an idea for an side dish for a leg of lamb I'm serving this Easteer Sunday. I would love something I could make ahead. Would ratatouille be overwhelming? And rice of some sort or another? I would be grateful for any ideas.

Agnes Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I happened to run across this thread and since people might be cooking lamb for Easter thought I'd throw in my new favorite recipe. I came across a recipe for Red Wine and Radicchio Risotto. It was great! I served some traditionally-cooked collard greens with this. It was a very nice combination.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Besides the rice and asparagus, I usually make a spinach salad with strawberries, red onion, and walnuts. It is really good with poppy seed dressing, and the fresh spinach and strawberries tie into the fresh spring vegatable theme.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Your menu sounds delicious, however, I'd like to offer up a suggestion.
hummus, pits, roasted veggies, spanakopita, etc.
I do hope you don't intend to serve "etc." with all these hors d'oeuvre you've listed. If you fill your guests up with appys, they won't enjoy your featured menu nearly so much.

IMO, appys are meant to just whet the appetite, and set up the meal. I would go with just one of those choices you listed, along with a glass of crisp Greek white wine such as Moschofilero. Then everyone will be anxious to dig into your lamb chops and risotto!

Just my 2 cents.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up Lamb Chops

Hello. I'm new also. AND I really know I'm going to like it here!!

What great ideas and recipes!!!

Thanks for the input.
PhantomCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #17
Head Chef
I was thinking of doing a stuffed portabella mushroom wraped in filo dough and baked till nice and brown would be a dynamite side. stuffed with wild schrooms and schallots a splash of good red wine s&p go for it
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Lamb Chop Sides

I agree with the asparagus and risotto suggestion but once again, hard on time. I have adapted to making a cream of asparagus soup as a 2nd course (after appetizer) and serving the lamb with a rice casserole (with dried cranberries, apricots, and pine nuts) as well as a side salad with a home made feta dressing. The soup, rice casserole, and feta dressing can all be made day before with initial heating on the night of event.
brookefowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #19
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Amen for the doing ahead!

Saturday night I'm staging a "Rack of Lamb Tasting Dinner" in support of my thesis, and preparing three different recipes of Rack of Lamb. One of the dishes has an accompanying dish of an Eggplant relish... making that and a Farro risotto tomorrow night, along with the salad dressing, so Saturday will just be dealing with the fresh bread and the three racks...

Whew! I'll be glad when its over!

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote