Partial leg of lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SodiumPentathol

Assistant Cook
Hey all, I have a partial leg of lamb (weight is just over 1kg or around 2lbs) that I thawed to cook tonight... And I don't know what to do with it! Normally I've cooked it with a marinade based with red wine, but I'm pregnant and paranoid since apparently only about 70% of the alcohol will cook off, so I need a new suggestion.

Any suggestions appreciated! Also, what are your preferred cooking times and temp?

I would go Greek/Souvlaki style.

4 T fresh lemon juice
1 t dried oregano
3 minced cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper

A little olive oil won't hurt but is not required.

i'm probably too late, but i would roast it with potatoes, baby carrots, and onions.

make some slits into the leg in a few spots, stuff each slit with a thin slice of garlic and a tiny sprig of fresh thyme and rosemary. rub ski with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with a good amount of salt and pepper.

quarter potatoes and onions, add baby carrots and toss everything with olive oil, s&p, and paprika. place veggies into the bottom of a roasting pan, and roast for about 20 minutes at 400 F. (you're par-roasting the veggies so they're done at the same time as the lamb)

remove roasting pan from oven, stir potatoes/onion/carrots to turn, then place leg on top and put back into the oven. roast until meat reaches 140 F in the thickest part not touching the bone (140 if it's bone-in, 130 if it's boneless).

hth. :chef:

Great suggestion: Butterfly it the marinate in Olive oil,lemon juice/zest,oregano,garlic.

This is what I would do. No alcohol in this recipe.

Butterflied Leg of Lamb à la Provençale
makes 8 servings
1 Leg of Lamb, trimmed and boned (approximately 5 pounds trimmed weight)
(Be sure to ask your butcher to remove the fell.)

Marinade:
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon fresh marjoram leaves
3 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juice and zest

1. Coarsely chop leaves and garlic. Add lemon zest and mix with oil and juice of the lemon. Rub lamb well, all over. Wrap in plastic, and marinate at least 1 hour. (You can let it sit up to three hours in the refrigerator.)
2. Grill over rosy red coals, or an electric range top grill, for 45 minutes (to 130 degrees F. internal). Or, you may roast it in the oven--375 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes, then slide under the broiler 2 minutes (to 125 degrees F. internal) to achieve that crusty grilled look.
3. Let sit at least 10 minutes before carving.

i'm probably too late, but i would roast it with potatoes, baby carrots, and onions.

make some slits into the leg in a few spots, stuff each slit with a thin slice of garlic and a tiny sprig of fresh thyme and rosemary. rub ski with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with a good amount of salt and pepper.

quarter potatoes and onions, add baby carrots and toss everything with olive oil, s&p, and paprika. place veggies into the bottom of a roasting pan, and roast for about 20 minutes at 400 F. (you're par-roasting the veggies so they're done at the same time as the lamb)

remove roasting pan from oven, stir potatoes/onion/carrots to turn, then place leg on top and put back into the oven. roast until meat reaches 140 F in the thickest part not touching the bone (140 if it's bone-in, 130 if it's boneless).

hth. :chef:

yeah, this is slowly opening up my options...asking for a different cut of meat. I'll see about it. At any rate, I can still try this recipe...need to get a roasting pan, but yes, I love this dish! Just haven't done this exactly or in a long time. Great winter recipe! (I am commenting so this goes in my profile to remember, but so I'm sorry if I start spamming the site. ahh! just excited!)

Back
Top Bottom