"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 08-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Rack of Lamb in Orlando

Last week I was in Orlando doing the whole Disney thing and the crew I was with went to a all you eat mexican buffet resturant that also had a steak resturant in the same space...
my favorite thing in a mexican resturant are the chips and salsa... if they can do a good job of making those 2 in house there is a good chance they can get everything else right...

but after checking out the menu I saw rack of lamb. I don't think I'd ever had rack of lamb in a resturant before... being on vacation I figured it was time to be adventerous so I ordered it.

I woofed down the whole rack and sucked the bones clean. It was some of the best lamb I had ever had. How can I describe it. It was juicy but not wet perhaps succulent would be the best term. I could taste a hint of butter, it had some crusty, I guess the best term would be fond... but i think fond is whats left in the pan, it was seasoned but not overly much so...

How can I make something like this at home. Is coating a piece of lamb with butter better... more flavorful than using olive oil?

Dry rubbing meat... right now I get more mortar and pestle and grind up whatever spices I am trying to coat meat with and then put the result in a shaker can, but do you really have to rub it in to get that dry rub result?

And I know the answer to this question is somewhere in the lamb section, but is the end all be all combination of herbs for lamb? The things I need to have in the cupboard ready to season with?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Head Chef

Some of the best lamb chops I have had, have been at Brazilian Steak places.

Tags
None