"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 03-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the info ishbel and wazaa. i never have a problem being corrected (politely), so no worries wazaa.

it has always annoyed me that the sheperd's pie i grew up on (made with leftover lamb) was so much different than the ones served (beef) in most restaurants and diners in and around nyc. now i can hassle a restaurant owner/friend of mine to refer to them correctly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Bucky - Even over here (where it was invented) you can go into a pub and order 'Shepherd's Pie' off the menu - and what you'll get is a portion of Cottage Pie!

Did you know that if you make cottage pie, and add diced or sliced carrot to the meat/onion layer, then add a small amount of cheddar cheese as a topping to the potatoes before you put it back in the oven to brown - it then gets renamed as Cumberland Pie....

Old 03-23-2005, 11:19 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, this is getting even better. my buddy's restaurant then serves cumberland pie because there's always peas and carrots in the beef, and the potatoes are mixed with cheese. his place is an irish pub, so it should be fun to remind everyone that he is serving an english dish (as i run away...)

Old 03-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Goodness, you're a brave person I'm not sure whether the 'Cumberland' is because it was once made with Cumberland sausages, or named after the English County of Cumbeland OR... (whisper it quietly... ) after the Duke of Cumberland - who is known, in Scotland, as Butcher Cumberland. Did you know that the flowers called Sweet William was named after him? And that in Scotland they are known, to this day as 'Stinkin Billy'.....? (I'm a veritable fund of useless information - but great to have on your team in a game of Trivial Pursuit!)
Old 03-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

I think the Cumberland pie was originally made from wild Cumberland boar, (of which there are a few 'round 'ere, still especially when you spill their beer) I'll do a census tonight down the ole bistro-pub, where I hope to sit in with the musicians that are playing. The guitarist was voted UK top jazz guitarist a few years back.

Think shepherd's pie was invented to use up left over lamb, BTW.

Just remembered why I put furrows and bread crumbs only on my cottage pie, so I could tell it from shepherd's pie, (ie it's the one with the thatched roof )

off t'd pub.
cheers
Waaza
Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

have a bass or magner's for me wazaa. man, i wish i was joining you. i play a mean jazz kazoo...

Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #17
Senior Cook

no Bass round 'ere, and never heard of Magner's. It's Robinson's or Hartley's, though I stick to cider as I'm from the West country. Five/six pints , play a bit, then off to the chippy, as I've only had a plate of Dum Aloo (home-made of course) for tea.
See yaw, Bucky
cheers
Waaza
Old 03-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

magner's is an excellent irish cider, not too sweet. yea, 5 or 6 pints is about my limit these days as well. i'm getting old.the spuds should hold you over until you can get to the chip shop (or van?)... i could go for a chip butty right now.
ok, just keep rubbing it in....

Old 03-23-2005, 04:18 PM   #19
Executive Chef

sheperds pie

Just got back from the store and lamb roast is $6.79lb. Now I know why everyone had ham in their cart. Don't know if we will be having this but you better believe at that price there won't be leftovers. Have to fix with ground beef. Thought of shanks but not enough meat on them. Everyone must be familiar with this recipe. Lot of responses. GOOD!

buckytom, can you get that cider in the states?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:36 PM   #20
Cook

In answer to Ishbel's query, I used to be from the Midlands, just south of Birmingham.

Both my Cottage and Shepards pies vary depending on what I've got in the cupboard. If I've got no Tomatoes then I usually add Tomato Puree and some stock, I find adding Toms makes the sauce richer and thicker. I also make an Oriental version by adding Oyster Sauce instead of the Toms, which is a little different.

Thanks to you all for the stimulating comments, it is amazing that the simplest foods seem to generate the biggest debates.

Tags
None