"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 12-05-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Sides of Lamb

The bargin of the year is on here, "Sides of Spring Lamb" only $3.99kg, wow! - bargin. Due to the drought our southern states are selling off all their spring lambs because they can't feed them. I bought a couple a few weeks back so I've got a fair stockpile in the freezer ------ so what am I going to do with it all ???????? It realy is quality meat, lean and tender and each side weighs about 6kg.
It comes cut up with the leg for roast, a variety of chops etc but I've been wondering if they could be made in to different cuts and what cuts do you people like and what do you do with them.
The butcher says that he can cut them in many ways, just tell him what I want, but, I don't have any idea.
Any thoughts?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Cook

You can ask the butcher to bone the shoulder (or leg, for extravagance) and you can cut it up for stirfries, mince, or cubes for stews etc. Or you can place a layer of your favourite stuffing onto the opened out boned shoulder, roll it up, tie with string or secure with skewers, and roast it.

You can bone the flap, too, and stuff it in the same way. It's a bit fatty, but at least you're using it! These bones, with a bit of meat left of, are very good for making stock, soups, etc.

If you have the leg boned, it will make very good 'steaks'. You can cut some very thick, so that you can split them for stuffing, or cut them very thin for schnitzels, or however you like.

Just remember that the rear end of the animal will be more tender than the top end. The muscles in the shoulders get more use, so those bits aren't as good as the other end.

Your butcher will be able to advise you further, and will cut it up to suit you own requirements. Don't forget when asking for 'a side' to keep the kidney on that side! Ask him to keep the kidney fat too - it can be rendered down and used as suet. Good for pastries etc. Keep the neck, ask the butcher to cut it into 'rosettes' for you. This makes the best soup/stock/stews of the whole animal. The shanks make good eating, too - very tender. Also ask him to keep the liver and heart if possible. (Even if you don't like offal yourself, you dog certainly will!)

Definitely put aside a fair portion of the leg or shoulder and off-cuts and turn it into mince. You can then make a whole range of dishes - sausage rolls, pies, meatballs (good for Greek dishes) etc.

You can turn some of the loin chops into a roast rack of lamb by not completely separating them. Of course, cutlets are loin chops with the fat removed from the bone.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Great ideas, Daisy!!! Attie, you're going to be eating very well!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Oh, and lamb shanks, Attie!! How fun to have enuf to play with!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
Executive Chef

a boned and butterflied leg is excellent barbeque material. give it a greek marinade with olive oil, onion garlic rosemary and lemmon! grill it (barbeque ) to a nice medium done...so delishious.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

A side of lamb has the same cuts as a side of beef. So you can get tenderloins, racks, steaks, roasts, whatever.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Thanks one and all, I can see why they're selling them off now by the news tonight. The bush fires are out of controll down there and they've ask for help from New Zealand, Canada and the US to try and controll them.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I get a whole lamb every year. We get the leg and shoulder roasts boned, rolled and tied. I personally would not cut them into steaks. There are such good recipes for grilled butterflied leg of lamb, braised leg, or just plain roasted. You could get the rib chops done into a rack. Be sure to get it "Frenched"--with the chine bone cut off.
Get a set of loin lamb chops.
If you get the neck, it makes a wonderful stew.
Any trimmings that are lean, get ground into burger meat.

Here is a really good site for recipes. I have a favorite called Lamb you can eat with a spoon, which is an adaptation of the French classic lamb dish, Roti Agneau au Sept Heures. I would never have thought of braising a wonderful cut like a leg (have always grilled or roasted) but this dish is simply OUTSTANDINGLY good--a true French bistro dish.

http://www.sheepscreek.com/recipe_list.html
Old 12-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Lots of information there, thanks Gretchen
Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Take a look at the links across the top of the page. They are "keyed" to the subject of the thread and there are lamb recipes there also.

Tags
None