Snip's Tomato Bredie (Lamb and tomato stew)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
This is my version of a warming SA traditional stew. Very good with samp but for those who can't find it rice or crusty fresh bread is good too!

2 lbs of lamb knuckles or stewing lamb
2 large onions sliced
2 cans of chopped tomatoes or 6 ripe chopped tomatoes
1 whole head of garlic cloves peeled
1/4 cup of tomato paste
1 lbs of baby potatoes washed
1 heaped teaspoon of chopped red chillies or dried flakes (I sometimes sub the chillies for 2 tsps of Indian curry paste or powder)
1 tbs of light brown sugar
Oil to brown meat.
Salt and pepper to taste (I use aromat instead of salt)
1 pkt of brown onion soup powder desolved in one cup of cold water

Season your meat with salt and pepper or aromat if you have. Add the oil to your oven dish and heat on high. Brown your onions with the chillies or curry in a large oven dish. Add meat and brown on all sides. Add the tomato paste, brown sugar and garlic cloves and cook a few minutes to remove any raw flavour. Add brown onion soup mix and stir till it starts to thicken slightly. Now add the chopped tomatoes (with the juice, don't discard it)
Cover with lid or foil if your dish doesn't have one. Cook for 2 hours at 320F in your oven. Stir once or twice and add a touch of water if it's getting dry. Now add the baby potatoes and cook for about 1 and a half to 2 hours more or until potatoes are tender and meat is soft and juicy.
Serve with either samp, polenta, rice or fresh bread.

Last edited:
Just finished making Tomato Bredie with Samp for dinner. I added some chopped cabbage and left out the potatoes since I had cabbage that needed using. Still turned out delicious! Added more chillies too, I just love chillies!!!

Great recipe but leave out the MSG (aromat) and Curry Powder. Good fresh Lamb and flavourful Tomatoes will bring out the taste.

I think the stuff I buy is called beefy onion soup mix, which I assume means a beef bullion type powder in it. I suppose it could be called brown, too.
We may never know...

Back
Top Bottom