So I Bought This Boneless Leg Of Lamb...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right, now that I'm not going to add a recipe and seeing as Chef June hasn't mentioned a lamb dish, I now feel it won't be too stomach-churning to ask the question:

Who else thinks, like me, that fresh mint smells of cat's pee?

Andy M. said:
You clearly have not been to www.mintjelly.com. the MJ police would like to talk to you.
No, I certainly haven't. Or certainly hadn't I should say, since I now have. But, if ever there was a site less devoted to gelatinous, slimy, green, minty stuff, this is it. And I looked all over the place. Finally thought I must have found the link between the name and the goods when I saw the "doesn't suck" link which I expected to insist, but alas, still nothing to do with the stuff that tortures children. Thus, I must conclude. DOES suck.

Thanks Ishbel. I'm going to try it, I really am. Lulu, I'm full of admiration. It takes a strong woman to stand up and admit to the world "I LIKE mint jelly!" Is this one of the twelve steps?

ROFL!

I think you might like mint sauce.

I just like fruit jellies/preserves with meat. I also almost always use them in my gravies and sauces. Mint or redcurrant with lamb. I like making jellies too, so maybe thats why I like mint jelly. I have had one made with white grape and mint instead of apple and mint, but I prefer the apple.

I hope you like the mint sauce Ishbel suggested. Its very strong but delicious.

So I guess mint jelly is added to the llist of my culinary and epicurial sins. Oh well...its a long list.

Snoop Puss said:
Right, now that I'm not going to add a recipe and seeing as Chef June hasn't mentioned a lamb dish, I now feel it won't be too stomach-churning to ask the question:

Who else thinks, like me, that fresh mint smells of cat's pee?

hahahahahahahaha - Sauvignon Blanc wine smells the same way! There's even a Sauvignon Blanc from Australia called Cats Phee On A Gooseberry Bush - the good ol' USA made them change the spelling to Phee for fear people would actually think it was an ingredient!

I also wonder if that smell comes from the age of the mint - new leaves versus old leaves.

Hm. On the same but more human note, its been years since I could eat weetabix. I love the taste but...

kitchenelf said:
hahahahahahahaha - Sauvignon Blanc wine smells the same way! There's even a Sauvignon Blanc from Australia called Cats Phee On A Gooseberry Bush - the good ol' USA made them change the spelling to Phee for fear people would actually think it was an ingredient!

I also wonder if that smell comes from the age of the mint - new leaves versus old leaves.
They're always picking on us :LOL:

I agree that lamb and mint jelly are not a good combination. I think the whole reason for mint jelly originally was to hide the taste of the lamb because the product available way back when is not the same product available today. Now, we have great lamb from Colorado, Canada, Australia, etc. which are not gamey and have such a smooth flavor. In one restaurant I worked at, I actually threw away the bottle of mint jelly that they had in their refer for guests who requested it. I mean, seriously. You have a beautiful almond crusted lamb loin with a red wine lamb jus and you want to trash that by putting on mint jelly? :sick:

Goodweed of the North said:
I absolutely love lamb. It has just a hint of that same gaminess found in venison, goat, and other members of that animal family. It has the texture of pork, but is more lean and succulent, and is tender.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I must disagree with your inclusion of goat meat in the gaminess division. I have eaten on over 75 goats and nary a one ever had any gaminess to the flavor of the meat. I suspect it has to do with the age of the animal, I usually eat kid and occassionally a two year old wether, but even the two year olds had no gaminess to them:rolleyes: .

Ayrton said:
I mean ... really! Who on earth came up with the mint jelly idea? Whose demented idea of brilliant was that?!

Sometimes I compare the lamb of my childhood with that bright green shaking blob next to it ... and the lamb of my adulthood, fresh off the charcoal with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice

And I wonder!
\

oohhhhh, this is bringing back some horrible, horrible child hood memories:sick: :sick: :sick:, I can still taste that awful green jelly on that wonderful lamb:sick: :sick:

Well, I am fighting a one woman fight for the appreciation of mint jelly! Yes, its a strong flavour, but then, so is mustart with a beautiful steak, or redcurrant jelly with lamb, cranberry with turkey, pickle with cheese etc. We eat some wonderful lamb....as well as being half NZ myself we have lambs in our orchard every spring, that graduate to our table, and they are fantastic...sometimes we have old English breeds reared for great flavour.

I can see why some people don't like it, and I agree that some of the commercial stuff is pants, but so are many comercial condiments. Viva mint jelly, long live mint sauce too!

In support of Lulu ( the half Kiwi :) !!) I admit to not minding mint jelly at all really. Prefer mint sauce, homemade with malt vinegar, but a well made jelly on your sheep sammie is pretty nice.:rolleyes:
Also, I am not a huge fan of lamb, much prefer hogget and preferably the blackface variety. Sigh....I wish hubby had never left farming, miss the homekill badly.

Try adding a few anchovy fillets to a persillade for lamb, or some other rub you may do. The flavour they impart marries very well and the resulting pan gravy is fantastic. Weird but true!!

Lynan said:
In support of Lulu ( the half Kiwi :) !!) I admit to not minding mint jelly at all really. Prefer mint sauce, homemade with malt vinegar, but a well made jelly on your sheep sammie is pretty nice.:rolleyes:

I am not talking about a well made jelly, that could be a whole other matter. Even the mint sauce could be quite nice. What I am remembering as a child was a disgusting American product that was truly vile. The taste of it is forever imprinted on my brain, and it is not pretty:-p .

bethzaring said:
I am not talking about a well made jelly, that could be a whole other matter. Even the mint sauce could be quite nice. What I am remembering as a child was a disgusting American product that was truly vile. The taste of it is forever imprinted on my brain, and it is not pretty:-p .

ditto - that is the reason I thought I didn't like mint!!!!! And I'm still sketchy about until I can convince myself it will not be the "same"!!

'Real' mint sauce is a whole different thing from that vile, neon coloured green gloop that passes itself off as 'mint' anything!

I've occasionally eaten home made mint jelly, but still prefer the traditional British mint sauce - but it has to be freshly made and only a small amount on the meat ONLY. My brother loved to smother his entire roast lamb, roast veg and carrots, green veg in the stuff....

Anyone contemplating making their own mint sauce can add a little finely chopped/crushed chilli also. Veeeeeery nice.:chef:

I Love Mint Jelly.

I am from England but have lived in the US for 5 years now. When ever my Dad comes to stay he always brings me a couple of jars of Mint Jelly from England. I love that stuff. :D I have seen Mint Jelly in stores here too, but the color looks kind of odd. Food shouldn't glow!

CritterHill said:
I Love Mint Jelly.

I am from England but have lived in the US for 5 years now. When ever my Dad comes to stay he always brings me a couple of jars of Mint Jelly from England. I love that stuff. :D I have seen Mint Jelly in stores here too, but the color looks kind of odd. Food shouldn't glow!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: Food show not glow, love it, I want that for my username, foodshouldnotglow

CritterHill said:
I Love Mint Jelly.

Bless your devoted father. About the only thing worse than the thought of eating mint jelly is the thought of scraping the remains out of one's jammies, slippers, and travel book after the jar breaks in the suitcase.

(Then again ... surely they don't let glowing green gelled items onto planes these days, do they?! Enjoy those jars while you can, CritterHill -- their days may be numbered!)

Back
Top Bottom