"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 10-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #21
Head Chef

Right, now that I'm not going to add a recipe and seeing as Chef June hasn't mentioned a lamb dish, I now feel it won't be too stomach-churning to ask the question:

Who else thinks, like me, that fresh mint smells of cat's pee?

Old 10-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
You clearly have not been to www.mintjelly.com. the MJ police would like to talk to you.
No, I certainly haven't. Or certainly hadn't I should say, since I now have. But, if ever there was a site less devoted to gelatinous, slimy, green, minty stuff, this is it. And I looked all over the place. Finally thought I must have found the link between the name and the goods when I saw the "doesn't suck" link which I expected to insist, but alas, still nothing to do with the stuff that tortures children. Thus, I must conclude. DOES suck.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Thanks Ishbel. I'm going to try it, I really am. Lulu, I'm full of admiration. It takes a strong woman to stand up and admit to the world "I LIKE mint jelly!" Is this one of the twelve steps?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #24
Head Chef

ROFL!

I think you might like mint sauce.

I just like fruit jellies/preserves with meat. I also almost always use them in my gravies and sauces. Mint or redcurrant with lamb. I like making jellies too, so maybe thats why I like mint jelly. I have had one made with white grape and mint instead of apple and mint, but I prefer the apple.

I hope you like the mint sauce Ishbel suggested. Its very strong but delicious.

So I guess mint jelly is added to the llist of my culinary and epicurial sins. Oh well...its a long list.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #25
Head Chef

Such wit and repartee, Ayrton! Made my afternoon. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Right, now that I'm not going to add a recipe and seeing as Chef June hasn't mentioned a lamb dish, I now feel it won't be too stomach-churning to ask the question:

Who else thinks, like me, that fresh mint smells of cat's pee?
hahahahahahahaha - Sauvignon Blanc wine smells the same way! There's even a Sauvignon Blanc from Australia called Cats Phee On A Gooseberry Bush - the good ol' USA made them change the spelling to Phee for fear people would actually think it was an ingredient!

I also wonder if that smell comes from the age of the mint - new leaves versus old leaves.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #27
Head Chef

Hm. On the same but more human note, its been years since I could eat weetabix. I love the taste but...
Old 10-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
hahahahahahahaha - Sauvignon Blanc wine smells the same way! There's even a Sauvignon Blanc from Australia called Cats Phee On A Gooseberry Bush - the good ol' USA made them change the spelling to Phee for fear people would actually think it was an ingredient!

I also wonder if that smell comes from the age of the mint - new leaves versus old leaves.
They're always picking on us
Old 10-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I agree that lamb and mint jelly are not a good combination. I think the whole reason for mint jelly originally was to hide the taste of the lamb because the product available way back when is not the same product available today. Now, we have great lamb from Colorado, Canada, Australia, etc. which are not gamey and have such a smooth flavor. In one restaurant I worked at, I actually threw away the bottle of mint jelly that they had in their refer for guests who requested it. I mean, seriously. You have a beautiful almond crusted lamb loin with a red wine lamb jus and you want to trash that by putting on mint jelly?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I absolutely love lamb. It has just a hint of that same gaminess found in venison, goat, and other members of that animal family. It has the texture of pork, but is more lean and succulent, and is tender.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I must disagree with your inclusion of goat meat in the gaminess division. I have eaten on over 75 goats and nary a one ever had any gaminess to the flavor of the meat. I suspect it has to do with the age of the animal, I usually eat kid and occassionally a two year old wether, but even the two year olds had no gaminess to them .

Tags
None