"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 10-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
I mean ... really! Who on earth came up with the mint jelly idea? Whose demented idea of brilliant was that?!

Sometimes I compare the lamb of my childhood with that bright green shaking blob next to it ... and the lamb of my adulthood, fresh off the charcoal with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice

And I wonder!
\

oohhhhh, this is bringing back some horrible, horrible child hood memories , I can still taste that awful green jelly on that wonderful lamb

Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #32
Head Chef

Well, I am fighting a one woman fight for the appreciation of mint jelly! Yes, its a strong flavour, but then, so is mustart with a beautiful steak, or redcurrant jelly with lamb, cranberry with turkey, pickle with cheese etc. We eat some wonderful lamb....as well as being half NZ myself we have lambs in our orchard every spring, that graduate to our table, and they are fantastic...sometimes we have old English breeds reared for great flavour.

I can see why some people don't like it, and I agree that some of the commercial stuff is pants, but so are many comercial condiments. Viva mint jelly, long live mint sauce too!

Old 10-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
In support of Lulu ( the half Kiwi !!) I admit to not minding mint jelly at all really. Prefer mint sauce, homemade with malt vinegar, but a well made jelly on your sheep sammie is pretty nice.
Also, I am not a huge fan of lamb, much prefer hogget and preferably the blackface variety. Sigh....I wish hubby had never left farming, miss the homekill badly.

Try adding a few anchovy fillets to a persillade for lamb, or some other rub you may do. The flavour they impart marries very well and the resulting pan gravy is fantastic. Weird but true!!
Old 10-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
In support of Lulu ( the half Kiwi !!) I admit to not minding mint jelly at all really. Prefer mint sauce, homemade with malt vinegar, but a well made jelly on your sheep sammie is pretty nice.
I am not talking about a well made jelly, that could be a whole other matter. Even the mint sauce could be quite nice. What I am remembering as a child was a disgusting American product that was truly vile. The taste of it is forever imprinted on my brain, and it is not pretty .
Old 10-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I am not talking about a well made jelly, that could be a whole other matter. Even the mint sauce could be quite nice. What I am remembering as a child was a disgusting American product that was truly vile. The taste of it is forever imprinted on my brain, and it is not pretty .
ditto - that is the reason I thought I didn't like mint!!!!! And I'm still sketchy about until I can convince myself it will not be the "same"!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #36
Executive Chef

'Real' mint sauce is a whole different thing from that vile, neon coloured green gloop that passes itself off as 'mint' anything!

I've occasionally eaten home made mint jelly, but still prefer the traditional British mint sauce - but it has to be freshly made and only a small amount on the meat ONLY. My brother loved to smother his entire roast lamb, roast veg and carrots, green veg in the stuff....
Old 10-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Anyone contemplating making their own mint sauce can add a little finely chopped/crushed chilli also. Veeeeeery nice.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

I Love Mint Jelly.

I am from England but have lived in the US for 5 years now. When ever my Dad comes to stay he always brings me a couple of jars of Mint Jelly from England. I love that stuff. :D I have seen Mint Jelly in stores here too, but the color looks kind of odd. Food shouldn't glow!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterHill
I Love Mint Jelly.

I am from England but have lived in the US for 5 years now. When ever my Dad comes to stay he always brings me a couple of jars of Mint Jelly from England. I love that stuff. :D I have seen Mint Jelly in stores here too, but the color looks kind of odd. Food shouldn't glow!
Food show not glow, love it, I want that for my username, foodshouldnotglow
Old 10-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterHill
I Love Mint Jelly.

Bless your devoted father. About the only thing worse than the thought of eating mint jelly is the thought of scraping the remains out of one's jammies, slippers, and travel book after the jar breaks in the suitcase.

(Then again ... surely they don't let glowing green gelled items onto planes these days, do they?! Enjoy those jars while you can, CritterHill -- their days may be numbered!)

Tags
None